AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current configuration consists of a 30' componet to vga cable run. Dvd player to projector. I am currently putting together a htpc. My new run will consist one of these options:

1) keep existing line add shorter vga to component and use male to male adaptors to hook the lines together.

2) run a seperate vga to vga line

3) run a dvi to vga line, as the video card has a dvi out on it.

number 1 is probably the easiest (don't have to crawl up in the attic) and cheapest. but hey pq is everything in our buisness so, if it will be a dramatic improvment with either of the other configurations I'll get out the ladder one more time....your input please.......

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any strong opinions out there??

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hmmmmm... Any time I linked multiple cables together, no matter how good they looked, I always saw a drop in PQ. If you really want the best PQ be prepared to climb up the ladder as much as you need to and try all your options. If it's for a business, buy all the cables for all the configurations and return the ones that dont give you exactly what you want.

Good Luck,

Vidkidd

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yup, do it right once & you won't have to do it twice or even 3 times. Obviously the shorter the run & the fewer connectors/adapters that you use, the less chance there is for a drop in PQ - something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks anyone else? I am more curious about the dvi to vga run. I know this is backwards as far as pq quality is concerned. has anybody used this and noticed much improvement in pq?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I worked for a company during a time they were opening a new facility. In this facility was a cafeteria, split into four sections as "conference rooms". The two larger rooms each had their own projector and the entire room opened up could hold something like 800-1000 people. The projectors connected to some sort of switch with RGB and then fed through the floor to two different outlets. Each of those outlets were then either directly connected to the back of a PC or to a 50ft CRT extension cable.

We were able to run high resolutions accepted by the projectors with no signal degradation.

The equipment, cable runs and everything else was professionally installed by AV suppliers. I had asked them about splitting the signal like that and they said that the only way to keep the signal from degrading was to split the colors and insulate them individually. Granted this may be a little extreme in your situation, but you should be able to find BNC-CRT cables. Theirs were custom made (I know I had to re-solder the pins several times) and I'm sure they're not expensive to make.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.