AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run cable to three tvs and my cable modem. Looking for a preferred manufacturer of signal amplifier and splitter. Quality more important than saving a buck. If there is a faq for this please direct me to it and I apologize for the question.

Brett

·
Registered
322 Posts
Your cable modem feed will need to be separate from the other feeds, should run without a splitter or amplifier, and will need a filter to work properly. For the televisions, depending on the length of cable to the tvs, you can spend little (i.e. Radio Shack) or if the length is significan (75 feet plus), get better quality. I use Channel Plus 8200 amp/distribution panel for my cable needs and am very happy with it. It is expensive (about $240) but you said cost was not an object. It is one of the best out there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Forgot to mention: another possibility for television amp/distribution is the Channel Plus 3025, which is an all in one unit and will pass through a cable signal. Plus, you can also modulate two video/audio sources (audio is mono) connected to the 3025. About $125 on ebay. I think this will do five televisions, whereas the 8200 is for eight.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by officiousintermeddler
Your cable modem feed will need to be separate from the other feeds, should run without a splitter or amplifier, and will need a filter to work properly. I use Channel Plus 8200 amp/distribution panel for my cable needs and am very happy with it. It is expensive (about $240) but you said cost was not an object. It is one of the best out there.
The 8200BID will also pass cable modem signal just fine. (The 8200HHR will not.) It doesn't need to be on its own line with a suitable d-amp. (You do however want to have filters in front of your TV feeds, which may lead you to elect to run the cable modem on its own line and only use one filter, but it's not a requirement.)

Also note that some cable companies have filters on the modem line, some have filters on all the non-modem lines, and some (like mine) are switching from one to the other...)

---Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. The 8200BID looks like it fits the bill. Any suggestions on where to buy it online. Also can someone explain the purpose of the filters. I am gonna distribute the signal to 3 or 4 tvs and a cable modem. HDTV on two of the feeds and digital cable on the others.

Thanks again,

Brett

·
Registered
322 Posts
Best prices I have found are at www.worthdist.com.

Filters are put on television lines to prevent flow of "noise" back down the line to interfere with the cable data signal. Since a cable modem is two way, whereas non digital TV is one way, such filters help clean up the line. With digital cable, you would put a filter at each television as opposed to the front end of the split going to the televisions (see Sokoloff's description).

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm in the same situation here. I will be swapping my digital cable over to my new house in a week or so, and want to distirbute to 3 TVs and my cable modem all at once. So something like the H816BID near the bottom of this page... http://www.multiplextechnology.com/o...cts/video.html will work for what I want to do? If I understand correctly I will still need to use the filters on the TV ends of my feeds? For every TV or just the one main TV getting fed by the converter box? Thanks for the help guys.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.