AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a high-quality VGA cable running from my media closet to my projector. It is a male to male cable. I'm looking for a cable (as short as possible) to break out that VGA to component RCA connectors.

I'm finding 3' cables at Monoprice, but the gender is wrong. Ideally I'm looking for 15-pin female to (3) RCA male. Anyone aware of anything, or do I need to buy a couple gender changers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Is your VGA output source carrying RGB or YPbPr?

Component Video inputs generally require YPbPr colorspace, which is NOT the same thing as RGB. No simple cable can make a colorspace conversion - you need an active transcoder. Key Digital, RCA, and *cough cough* Audio Authority make them, among others.

Trent

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
4,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indil377 /forum/post/0

Those cables look like the ones MCM Electronics sold us. They were pure junk. We bought a batch of those and they kept failing. We ended up throwing the remaining ones in the dumpster.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...5Fid=83%2D3170

They obviously are not as they don't use the same cable color code, which means they don't use the same wire which will determine the performance. Did you check the BNC connector to make sure they were 75Ohm?

As a matter of fact, we've been using these cables for 5 years and they continue to be a popular item at our store. I have personally used more than I can count over the years and can testify that they are very solid perfomers, but of course being pigtail cables, that would depend on the quality of cables you connect to it.

·
Registered
613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark /forum/post/0

They obviously are not as they don't use the same cable color code, which means they don't use the same wire which will determine the performance.

I didn't know that the cable color code determined the type of wire used. That's news to me.

Quote:

Did you check the BNC connector to make sure they were 75Ohm?

Are you saying that if the BNC connector was 75ohms then the cable wouldn't have failed?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indil377 /forum/post/0

I didn't know that the cable color code determined the type of wire used. That's news to me.

It's plainly visible to me that the cable you referenced uses a white wire for Horizontal Sync. With thousands of cable manufacturers, I don't know what would lead you to believe these are identical.

Quote:
Are you saying that if the BNC connector was 75ohms then the cable wouldn't have failed?

Yes, it is possible. Of course without better description of what you mean by fail, it's difficult to say. That could mean you had distortions or that you got no picture at all. If it was the latter, it sounds like there was a defect in the manufacturing process.

PS. Looking closely at the larger image on that cable you referenced at MCM, those connectors look to be 50Ohms, but it's hard to tell as the picture is not that sharp.

·
Registered
613 Posts

Quote:

It's plainly visible to me that the cable you referenced uses a white wire for Horizontal Sync. With thousands of cable manufacturers, I don't know what would lead you to believe these are identical.

Yes, it is possible. Of course without better description of what you mean by fail, it's difficult to say. That could mean you had distortions or that you got no picture at all. If it was the latter, it sounds like there was a defect in the manufacturing process.

PS. Looking closely at the larger image on that cable you referenced at MCM, those connectors look to be 50Ohms, but it's hard to tell as the picture is not that sharp.

I'm not going to argue with you. What ever makes you sleep good at night.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.