AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
other than a pc is there a device that i can run my cable to then output that from HDMI to my receiver/plasma monitor? it would be freakin sweet if it also had a dvr built it too. i searched for hd tv tuner but didnt see anything i thought would work.

·
Registered
22,817 Posts
TiVO? Moxi?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
There's this amazing device called a "cable box", which your cable operator might be able to offer you if pressed... I think that's what it does.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo /forum/post/18272119

There's this amazing device called a "cable box", which your cable operator might be able to offer you if pressed... I think that's what it does.

i already asked the cable company. without having digital cable they wont give me one. i didnt know tivo could do that, ill check into it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not yet, i saw the price online and im broke so i cant do anything about it for a while anyways but im gonna swing by best buy this weekend and check it out. i would love to find a cheaper option.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
DVD recorder with a QAM tuner and HDMI output should work, but you're limited to standard definition. Probably your cheapest option. The Maggy 2160 from J&R refurbed would be $160, and would work as a DVR (has a hard drive.) No program guide, though.

If you're looking for HD channels, TiVo, Moxi and a few standalone QAM tuners would work. You might not find the tuners in Best Buy, though, except maybe with the ATSC converter boxes.

If you're wanting a solution for under $100, don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
22,817 Posts
... or if you already have a PC with enough "horsepower", add a QAM capable tuner for HD/DVR functionality.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18288318

... or if you already have a PC with enough "horsepower", add a QAM capable tuner for HD/DVR functionality.

see i just got a new computer and have no use for my old one. i thought about formatting it and getting off as much software as i could but im not sure it would still have the capabilities. i dont know what would be required to run HD and display it fast enough. i doubt the graphics card that is in it could do it, i installed it before HD was even available in our area. it has a 160 gig hd so that could take care of the dvr issue and i could put windows media on it for the programming guides. if i put up the specs, could yall tell me if its capable and what i would have to add to make it work?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I would ask this question in the Home Theater PC forum here.

·
Registered
22,817 Posts
Add a tuner card to the new PC. Most software that is included with the hardware provides program guide functionality. I bought a clear QAM capable card for ~$80 from Best Buy. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ratman - He said he wanted to use his old PC, not the new one.

c_mack9 - Let us know the solution you find, after you get answers from the Home Theater PC forum.

·
Registered
22,817 Posts
I know that.

If his PC is OLD, it probably is not the better option for HD tuning, recording and playback. Use the new one and enjoy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18293848

Add a tuner card to the new PC. Most software that is included with the hardware provides program guide functionality. I bought a clear QAM capable card for ~$80 from Best Buy. Problem solved.

one of my buddies said i can add that card to my new computer, then i can get a device(cant remember what its called) and i can hook that up to my monitor/surround sound in my living room and stream through my wi-fi. are yall familiar with this?

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mack9 /forum/post/18434590

one of my buddies said i can add that card to my new computer, then i can get a device(cant remember what its called) and i can hook that up to my monitor/surround sound in my living room and stream through my wi-fi. are yall familiar with this?

Maybe a sagetv or myth box?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sagetv will not work for what i need, it doesnt have a tuner in it. im tryin to find out more about myth box but their site doesnt give a whole lot of details. thank you very much for your suggestions.

·
Registered
22,817 Posts
Just buy a PCI TV tuner card with an HDMI output. That takes care of your initial concern(s).

If you want to use WiFi... then you have to buy additional hardware/software.

Why is every suggestion an issue?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18459960

Just buy a PCI TV tuner card with an HDMI output. That takes care of your initial concern(s).

If you want to use WiFi... then you have to buy additional hardware/software.

Why is every suggestion an issue?

because if i have to buy a bunch of stuff that is more difficult and more expensive than tivo, i may as well just get a tivo. im looking for something cheaper if it exists and hopefully wont have to pay the monthly service fee.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts