AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am planning on adding a cable TV and cable modem amplifier and as I see it I have two options.

The cable feed length inside the house is a total of 65 feet with a connector 25 feet in.  I have a 3-way splitter at the 65 foot point and my signal is rather weak at the modem that comes off the spitter -18 dbm.  My options are to install a one port bidirectional (active return) at the 25 foot connector and keep the splitter at the 65 ft or to install a four port bidirectional/active return amp at the 65 foot point replacing the splitter.  Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.  

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
Amp at the 25' point. Or... use an amp where the cable feed enters the premises.

Reactions: TonyJA

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I'd suggest finding out why the signal is so low. 100' of cable and 7dB of splitter loss should get you better than -18dB at the modem. I have 11dB of splitters and 80' of cable and still get -7dB at my modem.

Reactions: TonyJA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the suggestion.  Actually last night we were getting tons of pixelation  on some of the channels and I ended up tightening the connector at the 25 foot point.  They weren't loose so I didn't think much about it but later checked the power again and it was -2 dbm.  I checked the channels I was having trouble with and they were fine. I would be surprised if the tiny bit of tightening would fix the problem or perhaps I have a bad connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Another update.  Last night it was back down even further at the modem to -20 dbm from -2 the night before.  I went to the connection outside the house and jostled it a bit (got through the protective cover, into the goop (silicone ?) ).

The signal level went back up to -2.  Although the connection looks clean under the silicone or whatever they put on it, I'm wondering if the very cold winter affects the connection over time.

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts