AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to move my computer room (incoming baby, last area of manhood being removed) out to the living room. We have Comcast cable / HSI and the way it's wired currently it's not going to be that efficient with me moving it. The current setup is a follows. From the box outside, there is a 6 foot RG6 line to a PCT 3 port splitter. From there one line is not being used, the second is about a 50ft line to the computer room where I have it connected to the cable modem, and the last is a 25ft line to the cable TV box.

With me moving the computer desk / cable modem out to the living room, it will be about 10ft apart from the cable TV box, and the easiest thing for me to do would be to split that line inside and have on to the cable TV, the other to the HSI. However, that's 2 splitters being used, and I'm willing to bet that I'll have some signal degradation that way.

I've thought about using a female to female RG6 connector to the 6ft line (4ft of it is underground) to the 25ft line that is being used as the cable TV line. From there, getting a 4 port bi-directional AMP / Splitter, and having a 4ft line to the TV, and about 10ft line to the cable modem. The Amp / Splitter would be just inside the house, making connecting it to a power supply not an issue.

Does this sound like a decent plan? I really don't want to dig up frozen yard to to make a continuous single RG6 line to the proposed splitter.

Is there a recommended 4-port bi-directional amp / splitter that is recommended (cost less than $50 please)?

Any suggestions / recommendations are more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTension /forum/post/15526503

Is there a recommended 4-port bi-directional amp / splitter that is recommended (cost less than $50 please)?
Here are a couple for $50 with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I would not worry about putting in a amp until you try it without first.

Personally I would remove the three way and replace it with a coupler.

Then just put a two way in your living room.

My house is currently like setup this.

Cable comes to a ground block, then a two way splitter. one leg runs all the way around my house probably a good 100 feet to the living room. The other leg runs about 50 feet to my office, split again one leg going to the cable modem the other leg runs about 20 feet and is split again with one leg going to a TV tuner card and the other going to an HD tuner box.

The picture on the HD tuner box is perfect after about 70 feet of cable and being split three times and my cable modem speeds are 12Mbit with 18Mbit powerboost peaks. I will admit the picture on the analog tuner card may not be as good as it could be, but I rarely use it anyway

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Yeah, just 'barrel' the line thru to the TV and put the splitter where you need it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
if you need an amp for the setup you listed, something is wrong.

To suggest the best setup we need to know your signal levels and the easiest way to check would be to pull up your modem's gui at (most likely) http:// 192.168.100.1 and look for the downstream signal level.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In order to do that, I'm guessing I need to run the lind driectly from the modem to my PC, then do the 192.138.0.1 routine?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Most cable modems 'homepage' is 192.168.100.1

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy /forum/post/15549597

Most cable modems 'homepage' is 192.168.100.1

If your setup works fine before the baby, you absolutely, without a doubt, do not need an amp or any significant changes for that matter.

As I understand it you currently have:

a 3 way split outside

One leg: cable box

two leg: modem

three leg: nothing

I presume you wont need that cable jack active in the babies room so im ruling that out.

your new setup "should" be

Direct connect the source line outside to your 25ft line to the cable TV with simply a barrel. Leave babies room line disconnected. Inside, you'll need a short RG6 to a two way splitter and then long enough RG6 to each the cable box and modem. Make sure your RG6 and splitter choices are digital quality and your good to go.

There is no need for extra strategy and certainly not an amplifier. If your setup was working fine before, my proposition is going to give you equal signal or improved signal depending on which leg of the 3 way split the equipment was on before. Certainly however, your signal will not be less than it was.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I hadn't closely read the initial description of the layout. Absolutely what GoDucksinAZ wrote. No reason on earth that shouldn't work the same as your current configuration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts