AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway that I can connect my cable box to my computer or network so that I can watch Cable TV to any TV in the house?


My cable company wants to charge me per TV. I don't mind that only one station can be selected at once but can't this be done?


The only problem I see is controlling the Cable Box.


The models I can get are Motorola DCT6416 and DCT6412.


Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts
The best solution would be to go the SageTV + HD PVR route. Connect the HD PVR to your cable box and to your PC running SageTV. You can then get the SageTV HD300 media extenders and connect them to each additional TV. This will give you the ability to watch your cable box on any tv connected to an HD300. Of course with this method you have to purchase an HD300 for each TV, so initially the cost will be greater then renting a cable box per tv (so may not be what you had in mind)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
At the moment the best solution is windows media center with ceton tuner or upcoming silicon dust cable card tuner.


- you need one cable card from your cable provider and can watch multiple channel on different TVs


- ideally you would connect a small pc to every tv in your house but you can just connect xbox360 basic model and get even better integration


- every tv in my house is connected to a htpc running media center. I launch hulu and boxee from MC. I have a gyration remote with mouse connected to all of them and no keyboard attached. I keep a lenovo mini keyboard on hand for debugging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aazeez1975 /forum/post/19522475


At the moment the best solution is windows media center with ceton tuner or upcoming silicon dust cable card tuner.

Also, the HD Homerun will work for any clear-QAM channels that you have available. I stream my local channels from a HD Homerun to my XBMC box directly (might setup mythtv on a computer in the future as well to add PVR functions).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts
The one thing maybe the OP can clarify, he mentions not wanting to have to pay for additional STBs. However, all the solutions we mention requiring having some sort of hardware (PC, extender) connected to each TV you want to get Cable. Does the OP already have the appropriate hardware at each tv? If not then the upfront cost to purchase the hardware will be much more then just renting the cable boxes (maybe take over a year to recoup to break even)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That SageTV solution looks cool, but how would it change the channels on the cable box?


I don't mind buying additional hardware where required, however I don't believe I will need much more at this point.


Currently i'm setup like this:


D-LINK DIR-825 gigabit router is on the 3rd floor with wired CAT6 connections to both TV's that I want to watch the cable box on.


LivingRoom - LCD connected to a HTPC running XBMC Live wired to Router.

Bedroom - LCD connected to a Asus O!Play Air wired to Router.


Here on the third floor I have all my main computers, UPS's, etc. If I use the box then the problem is how to change channels. Wouldn't I really need a card inside the computer here so that I could control the channel from any TV?


The cable company i'm with is AmNET in Costa Rica and they don't offer or have cards that I can put in my computer.


They are still on ATSC. However their techs indicated that they are going to be making an upgrade to change over to digital (DTV?).


I really appreciate the comments! If I could get this working i'd be an extremely happy camper. That way I can get one really good package from my cable company and share it to my other TV's.


I'd love to scrap my cable company all together and do Hulu but two problems with that.


1. My cable company provides my internet service so i'm stuck with the basic service anyway ($32 /month)


2. Hulu doesn't provide service outside the USA. (I know a proxy service should do the trick).


Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickCR
That SageTV solution looks cool, but how would it change the channels on the cable box?


I don't mind buying additional hardware where required, however I don't believe I will need much more at this point.


Currently i'm setup like this:


D-LINK DIR-825 gigabit router is on the 3rd floor with wired CAT6 connections to both TV's that I want to watch the cable box on.


LivingRoom - LCD connected to a HTPC running XBMC Live wired to Router.

Bedroom - LCD connected to a Asus O!Play Air wired to Router.


Here on the third floor I have all my main computers, UPS's, etc. If I use the box then the problem is how to change channels. Wouldn't I really need a card inside the computer here so that I could control the channel from any TV?


The cable company i'm with is AmNET in Costa Rica and they don't offer or have cards that I can put in my computer.


They are still on ATSC. However their techs indicated that they are going to be making an upgrade to change over to digital (DTV?).


I really appreciate the comments! If I could get this working i'd be an extremely happy camper. That way I can get one really good package from my cable company and share it to my other TV's.


I'd love to scrap my cable company all together and do Hulu but two problems with that.


1. My cable company provides my internet service so i'm stuck with the basic service anyway ($32 /month)


2. Hulu doesn't provide service outside the USA. (I know a proxy service should do the trick).


Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
With SageTV you would want to connect your HTPC to your CableBox and an HDPVR. The HTPC would control changing the channel on the Cablebox via either firewire or an IR blaster. Om this HTPC you would have the full SageTV Media Center software running as a service. For any other PC in your house that you want to connect to this SageTV service you would install the SageTV Client software. With this you would have full control of the cable box on any of the Client PCs (or with their HD300 extender)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19528488


With SageTV you would want to connect your HTPC to your CableBox and an HDPVR. The HTPC would control changing the channel on the Cablebox via either firewire or an IR blaster. Om this HTPC you would have the full SageTV Media Center software running as a service. For any other PC in your house that you want to connect to this SageTV service you would install the SageTV Client software. With this you would have full control of the cable box on any of the Client PCs (or with their HD300 extender)

Is the HDPVR for recording shows? It's not something I have now, so I don't think i'd miss it :p


The box i'm keeping an eye on ebay for is the DCT6416III which comes with a 160GB hard-drive for recording. It also has a dual tuner. It's the only one that has a HDMI output, but maybe that's not what I need at this point.


The other option is a DCT6412 which also has a built in PVR but only has DVI vs HDMI.


I guess the solution mentioned means that no matter what only one TV will have access to the digital channels. This is ok, but if there is a way for multiple TV's to have access to different channels that would be IDEAL but not 100% necessary.


The SageTV option basically jsut provides a uPNP option on the network. The problem with this is that everything would be connected to my HTPC which right now is only turned on when necessary. So I guess I could hook it up on my main computer on the top floor.


Are there however any solutions that would provide TV through XBMC?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to add i'm not stuck on XBMC if there is a better solution out there i'm game. I also plan on buying a nettop in the near future so both TV's will run on a HTPC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickCR /forum/post/0


Just to add i'm not stuck on XBMC if there is a better solution out there i'm game. I also plan on buying a nettop in the near future so both TV's will run on a HTPC.

Most of the channels from your cable box are encrypted , the only way to view properly on an htpc setup is by using the hd pvr which takes advantage of the analog hole.


For tv xbmc is not the optimal solution. I would look at instead sagetv, wmc , or media portal
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top