AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I keep just a cable modem active (only pay for cable modem) with my cable company will there still be a basic cable signal going thru my cable line for viewing with my TV? Or do they have a special in line filter that will allow only data (cable modem) and not basic cable (video).

Thinking about switching completely to DirecTv but don't want to pay $5 + hardware costs a tv (for 4+ tv's) to switch all of my TV's. Gets expensive when you have 4+ TV's in the house.

Goal is to have 2 or 3 TV's with Directv, 3 tv's with basic cable (possibly for free) and pay cable company for cable modem access for the short term then eventually switch over to DSL and Directv for everything down the road.

DSL not available in my area yet or I'd convert over.

And yes, I know they screw you on a higher cable modem only rate but still cheaper than cable modem and basic cable.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Talk to your cable company. Most likely, there is, but they don't advertise it (they want you to take at least their analog basic cable).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Any self-respecting cable company puts a filter on the line to block out the TV signal.

In our area, the upstream modem carrier is at about 30mhz... (about channel 1.5) - the downstream modem carrier is at 657mhz (about channel 101) - If you have modem only, we put a 2-78 channel trap on your line.

And, our modem rates are the same reguardless if you have TV service or not. ($40 for 2meg/256, $30 for 384k/128) - and there is no modem only surcharge.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You might ask about lifeline cable (usually locals, weather and CSPAN) Often people get that w/ cable modem as then the additional cable-modem only fee is waived with a neglible cost difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.