AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to look at an AE100. I have an iscan v2 I'd like to bring along to try with it.

What type of VGA/RGB (same thing, right?) input connector does the AE100 have? HD15? So I'd just need a common (right?) male HD15-to-male HD15 computer connector?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve,

I'll be looking at one on Tuesday morning. I'll let you know what I think, but not sure I'll be able to watch anything besides DVD.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just got my iscan V2 and my AE100 set up last night. Please bear in mind that I am a newbie and I have no way of doing an A-B comparison between w iscan and without it. That being said, I was pretty impressed with the PQ. I've been lurking here for many months and I have learned all about black levels, contrast, lumens, and screendoor - at least I think that I have.

So....how did it look? To my new, easily impressed eyes, the picture looked terrific. The detail levels were very very good. However, it is true that the black levels are a little lacking. (My room is all white and I have not done any calibration on the projector yet.) Even so, I really had a good time watching the movie and I was very satisfied.

The best thing about the iscan V2 is the ability to do the 4:3 squeeze. This lets me watch output from my Tivo on a 4:3 image within the 16:9 area. Even the image from Tivo was impressive! Of course, YMMV. I record everything at High quality and I have a reasonably good cable source.

I'll post some more useful comments once I have recovered from the 'Wow' factor and I have calibrated the projector. (Oh yeah, did I mention that I was projecting onto a yellow-beige wall because my Parkland material hadn't arrived yet?)

David

·
Registered
169 Posts
Joseki -

I really appreciate the feedback on the iScan v2 and the Squeeze setting in particular. I have had my AE100 for about 2 months now and have about 125 hours on it, but mostly watching movies on DVD, Laserdisc and some TV on Tivo.

The strechted image from my current Viewsonic VB50 has been fine so far, but I've been watching World Cup for the last 10 days and the stretched field from the Viewsonic VB50 is driving me nuts. It seems that the iScan v2 would be the ticket.

My only other question is about the settings on the iScan. Which output setting did you use with the AE100 - RGB or Y-Pr-Pb output colorspace?

Steve

·
Registered
283 Posts
Steve,

I honestly can't tell you for sure which colorspace I am using. It seems that it is RGB though. Check this thread until somtime tomorrow and if I haven't updated it, then RGB is the correct colorspace.

You will really love the 4:3 squeeze mode. My 4:3 image is 47"H x 62"W. This is extremely impressive, even if you have gotten used to the 16:9 screen width!

The real test will be tonight when I watch the hockey game. Go Canes!

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.