AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about switching from Comcast to Directv, solely because of price. My bill this month from Comcast was $135.00. From Directv, with more features, it would be less than half of that for the first year, and about $50.00 less after that.

I would be purchasing 2 of the HR-22 HD DVR's and 1 standard DVR from Best Buy or Circuit City. This will ensure me that I am buying new machines, nothing refurbished. Directv will reimburse me for about 1/2 of this purchase.

My question is, is this worth it? I have had Directv with Tivo and without in the past, needless to say the service without Tivo was so bad I switched to Comcast 2 years ago. The old HD DVR (I think model R-10???) was constantly crashing, slow to respond, didn't record programs, and channels took forever to change. It was so frustrating that my complaints resulted in me getting all of my money back within 2 months............regardless of the 2 year contract.

So, although Comcast is expensive at least it's reliable. Has Directv's equipment, firmware, and software improved enough so that it is a reliable product?

· Registered
1,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolenski7 /forum/post/15412543

I'm thinking about switching from Comcast to Directv, solely because of price. My bill this month from Comcast was $135.00. From Directv, with more features, it would be less than half of that for the first year, and about $50.00 less after that.

I would be purchasing 2 of the HR-22 HD DVR's and 1 standard DVR from Best Buy or Circuit City. This will ensure me that I am buying new machines, nothing refurbished. Directv will reimburse me for about 1/2 of this purchase.

My question is, is this worth it? I have had Directv with Tivo and without in the past, needless to say the service without Tivo was so bad I switched to Comcast 2 years ago. The old HD DVR (I think model R-10???) was constantly crashing, slow to respond, didn't record programs, and channels took forever to change. It was so frustrating that my complaints resulted in me getting all of my money back within 2 months............regardless of the 2 year contract.

So, although Comcast is expensive at least it's reliable. Has Directv's equipment, firmware, and software improved enough so that it is a reliable product?

I think you are doing the right thing by switching to Directv. Better PQ and AQ. I also like the HR21 DVR. Much larger selection of HD programming and less expensive. Good move.

· Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolenski7 /forum/post/15412612

Why the HR-21?

Do I need the HR-21 to get VOD?

The HR22 is a version of the HR21 with a 500GB hard drive.

DirecTV is about to replace the HR22 with the HR23 . The HR23 eliminates the need for separate B-Band Converters (BBCs) on installs. Installers have begun to receive shipments of the HR23 in the past week, and that model should become more widely available in the next month.

Quote:

The DirecTV DVR is still based on that original R10 software, but it has matured enough to the point where most people now find it usable. That said, no one is going to confuse it with the latest TiVo software. You may be interested to know that DirecTV and TiVo recently partnered to introduce a new DirecTiVo HDTV DVR; it is expected in the 2nd half of 2009.

For me, the decision to switch to would depend on Comcast's high-definition lineup and whether Verizon FiOS (with its ~110 HD channels) was available. The TivoHD supports both of those providers. If your Comcast HD lineup pales in comparison to DirecTV, and FiOS is not available, then I would probably opt for DirecTV and their HR23 DVR.

· Banned
248 Posts
I think the only difference in the HR21 vs HR22 is the hard drive size. I think that is when the switch from 320gb to 500gb was made.

Sure, the system is slow and semi-unreliable. But I guess that's just what we have to deal with these days. I am on my 2nd HR21. The first one decided to show me it had a bad disc. This new on though is much faster and seems very stable. It has only been a week. There was a recent software update that increased the speed of the menu's and such. It's very fast now, finally!

The Tivo merger won't take place for a long time to come. If you plan to hold out, you may end up waiting longer then you'd like.

I do like DirecTV. I've been with them for probably 10 years. A few quirks here and there, but overall, not bad service. The quality really is some of the best I've seen though.

· Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFinder /forum/post/15415761

I think the only difference in the HR21 vs HR22 is the hard drive size. I think that is when the switch from 320gb to 500gb was made.

The HR20 and HR21 essentially the same DVR, but with component cost reductions. The HR22 and HR23 added 500GB drives.

· Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolenski7 /forum/post/15416201

Can I get VOD with the HR-21?

You can get VOD downloaded / streamed via ethernet with any HR-2x model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolenski7 /forum/post/15416201

I'm guessing that TiVo won't be available for a while yet, but when it comes will current subscribers be able to download the Tivo software to their current box?

All indications are that it will require a new box.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Directv, with any of the HR-20/21/22 DVR boxes is fairly reliable? My Comcast box, although slow to respond to remote inputs all the time, is reliable. I would say in the 2 years I've had it, I've had to reset the unit 3 times.

Any other thoughts on Directv's HD-DVR's

· Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolenski7 /forum/post/15417504

So Directv, with any of the HR-20/21/22 DVR boxes is fairly reliable? My Comcast box, although slow to respond to remote inputs all the time, is reliable. I would say in the 2 years I've had it, I've had to reset the unit 3 times.

Yes. The reports are even more favorable for the next-generation HR23 (discussion here ).

If you are satisfied with the Comcast DVR, then you should be satisfied with a HR2x DVR. Just don't expect it to function like a TiVo.

· Registered
571 Posts
I'm switching from D* to CableVision as I want my TiVo back :) (and it will be cheaper)

the HR2x boxes seem decent I ahve to say me and my wife's biggest issues are:

- slow times to scroll through the "list" of recorded shows; seems to get worse the more you have in your to-do-list?

- when searching for a show/movie by keyword search after about 20-30 shows it says downloading content or something like that, then it drops you back at the start... and it takes awhile to scroll through.

- buggy software releases that can take a day before your DVR is a DVR again. and all you get from D* we can exchange the box for you???

other then those issue PQ is top notch - I hope CV looks close (I have my appoinment this week-end)

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,779 Posts
HD DVR's from all suppliers are relatively competent these days. Base your decision on other factors; programming, bundle pricing, HD image quality. As noted, FiOS would be the first choice for number of HD channels and image quality.

If you want TiVo now, go with Comcast and buy an HD TiVo, which is HD cable compatible (with two CABLECards from Comcast). Downside - no VOD or PPV.

· Registered
146 Posts

Quote:

Just to confirm you know that it is not purchasing. It is leasing with an upfront free like leasing a car. When you leave, the boxes go back.

*EDIT*

The VOD on DirecTV is pretty lacking. There is some stuff there but nothing like what Comcast offers (in most markets) unfortunately.

· Registered
13,531 Posts
Last I looked, the kids programming available on DirecTV's VOD was not really comparable to what you get with Comcast. I would expect to record more programming for your kids. I suppose you could get them their own DVR, enable parental locks, setup a number of recordings.

· Registered
184 Posts
The thing I found with D* - when it works, it's great, when it doesn't it's just horrible. And I don't care what anyone says, there are many reported problems that just don't have a source - it may be the box, the dish the wires, who knows. Someone actually told me once that birds could interrupt the signal.

After a year of fighting signal issues, macroblocking, unwatchabe recordings, etc I finally gave up and went to Comcast and never looked back. Sure, I sacrificed a few things, but that's ok - and the PQ at least in my areas is just as good.

Many others have shared by experience and yet many others have had troublefree service. I would suggest that if you're satisfied with the feature/price comparison, just hook it up - don't you have 14 days or something to be able to get out of the contract? I think so - then if you can afford it, don't cancel the cable right away, just in case.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just ordered DTV. I'm not going to cancel Comcast just yet.

I purchased 2 HR-21-700 DVR's from Circuit City for $141.00 a piece. In all, after a bunch of credits and rebates, I'll actually be saving $832.00 over Comcast the first year, and well over $600.00 every year after that. The service is going to have to be pretty bad for me to cancel as a result.

I was told that I can use my old TiVo unit (R10) that has been stored in my basement on a shelf for about 2 years as well. I'm going to hook that up in the kids' playroom for them. Hopefully, won't need VOD as a result. In fact, they might have the best DVR in the house.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.