AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was having a discussion with a co-worker recently. He said that I "have to get DirecTV" He told me it was soooooo much better than cable.

Well I don't consider him an expert, so I thought I would ask here. Which is better? What are the pros and cons of cable and a dish?

·
Registered
181 Posts
For me its cable and for one reason, CABLE MODEM! I cannot get DSL and cable modem is the only high speed option. Although I generally like cable because of the ease of use dont have a box at every TV to get the channels. (except of course my HDTV box digital cable box).

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have several friends who have a cable modem, and still use directv. I don't get this, but they say that directv is a must have.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I was close to going to cable,but,things you don't get on cable kept me from switching: The NFL package,HD Net ESPN-HD, WGN. In LA,Ca on cable I don't think you get local FOX up converts.(Just available ota) IMO stunning compared to the regular FOX feed. Geo.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I picked satellite over cable because I could not stand the local Time Warner franchise. After moving to the area, I tried digital cable free for 30 days. The cable box was the worst I have ever seen. The guide was terrible, only had composite video out and no digital audio out. I went back to Dishnetwork and was as happy with my TV viewing as ever. Then the DirecTivo got a software upgrade that activated both tuners and I jumped on a good deal. I will NEVER leave DirecTV as long as they support the DirecTivo.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by avguygeorge
I was close to going to cable,but,things you don't get on cable kept me from switching: The NFL package,HD Net ESPN-HD, WGN. In LA,Ca on cable I don't think you get local FOX up converts.(Just available ota) IMO stunning compared to the regular FOX feed. Geo.
WGN Huh?

Cubs fan perhaps? Or that other team in Chicago.........

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about quality of video. Do you think that your dish is better quality than you are getting through cable?

·
Registered
215 Posts
directv is a must have i had twc and i got 60 for 40.00 now i get 115+local for 38.99

Here's the channel lineup:

A&E Network

ABC Family

America's Store

American Movie Classics (AMC)

Animal Planet

BBC America

Black Entertainment Television (BET)

Bloomberg Television

Bravo

C-SPAN

C-SPAN2

Cartoon Network

The Church Channel

CNBC

CNBC World

CNN

CNNfn/CNN International

Comedy Central

Country Music Television (CMT)

Court TV

Daystar »

DIRECTV Freeview Events

Discovery Channel

Discovery Health Channel

Disney Channel (East)

Disney Channel (West)

E! Entertainment Television

ESPN

ESPN CLASSIC

ESPN2

ESPNEWS

EWTN »

Fine Living

Food Network

Fox Movie Channel

Fox News Channel

Fuse

FX

Galavisión

Game Show Network

Hallmark Channel

Headline News

The Health Network

The History Channel

Home & Garden Television

Home Shopping Network

Independent Film Channel

Inspirational Life »

The Learning Channel (TLC)

Lifetime

Lifetime Movie Network

Link TV

MARIA+VISIÓN»

MC: 70s

MC: 80s

MC: Alternative Rock

MC: Big Band & Swing

MC: Bluegrass

MC: Blues

MC: Classic Country

MC: Classic Rock

MC: Classical Masterpieces

MC: Contemporary Christian

MC: Dance

MC: Easy Listening

MC: Gospel

MC: Hit List

MC: Jazz

MC: Lite Classical

MC: Metal

MC: Progressive/Adult Alternative

MC: R&B and Hip Hop

MC: Rap

MC: Reggae

MC: Rock

MC: Showcase

MC: Singers & Standards

MC: Smooth Jazz

MC: Soft Rock

MC: Solid Gold Oldies

MC: Sounds of the Season

MC: Soundscape

MC: Today's Country

MSNBC

MTV

MTV2

NASA TV»

National Geographic Channel

Newsworld International

Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite (East)

Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite (West)

Noggin/The N

Outdoor Life Network (OLN)

Oxygen

PAX

PBS You

QVC

RFD TV »

SCI FI Channel

Shop At Home

ShopNBC

Speed Channel

Spike TV

TBS Superstation

TechTV

TNT

Toon Disney

TRAVEL CHANNEL

Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN)

TRIO

Turner Classic Movies (TCM)

Turner South¤

TV Land

Univision (East)

USA Network

VH1

WE: Women's Entertainment

The Weather Channel

WGN Superstation

Word Network

and i have STARZ Super Pak for 2$ got 10$ off

and i have to 2 tivo the PQ is way better the cable now i have directv for 2years got in 2001 june 3

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lee120
the PQ is way better the cable now i have directv for 2years got in 2001 june 3
now this is what I'm interested in. Do you think the pq is better than through cable?

the guys in my office think so.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
PQ is a tough call.

My newly installed D* is coming in strong and clear. I can see the mpeg compression artifacts in my 27 inch TV, but they are tolerable.

When I had ATT/Comcast in Mountain View, CA digital cable for a shortwhile, it sucked. The box took about 5 seconds to tune after a channel change, there were lots of pixelations. The other damn annoying thing was the program guide that popped up and blocked the upper and lower parts of the screen and inserted an advertisment every single time the channel changed. On top of that, only RCA video out, no S-Video, analog audio only. Made switching in my AV system a mess. This was an updated cable system that had good internet service and offered phone and now has some kind of HD service.

In Campbell, Comcast is even worse, still stuck on A/B cable with limited digital capacity. No cable internet (or DSL). The digital box just integrates an A/B switch and tunes the HBO/Showtime in digital, everything else is analog.

So I blew that off, got a microwave internet link and a Direct Tivo system.

PQ: A good clean analog signal is actually much better than a standard def satellite image. After about a dozen phone complaints, Comcast did finally manage to eliminate the speckling problems on my analog service. But the A/B thing HAD to DIE.

Digital PQ: It's a toss up. I've seen cable digital look better, since D* and E* overcompress everything. I've seen cable look worse too. Add that most cable boxes don't even have S-video output and the verdict falls toward D* for me.

I'm going to put up an OTA antenna to supplement my D*. Good for rain fade and my stand-alone Tivo can grab the local shows better than the D*.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think the picture is brighter and clearer on satellite. Before I finally cut the cable I did a PIP with Direct TV on the left and Cable on the right, same program. Direct TV was a better picture with more detail. Before switching I was always cranking up my color for a good picture in HD. I don't have to do that now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just recently got D* after having cable for years. I can't believe how much better D* is, I'll never go back. Although I have heard that it varies from are to area. In Cocoa, FL though, Brighthouse (TWC) is near unwatchable on large TVs.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
PQ of cable vs. DBS is a call that's hard to answer. A lot of it depends on your local cable system. A good cable plants analog video can knock the socks off the same channel via DBS. On my system some were better, some worst, some equal. For the channels via digital cable what I saw on my cable system was that in general they were worst then DBS. Plus as mentioned earlier the digital cable box really sucked, no s-video out or Dobly Digital, even though there were spots for the connectors there were slugs there insted. Why not give Dish a try, I've seen adds where Radio Shack has a 30 day trial period so you can compare yourself.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I was on TWC for 10 years, switched to Dish 5 years ago and love it. The only thing I "miss" with TWC is better (and more) locals, and not losing signal during storms. I am thinking about going "HD", and have trees in the way of the Dish HD satellite. So I started looking at current costs of TWC, but decided it's not worth going back. I currently pay about $62 for Dish (with PVR, a second receiver and Starz). The"same" with TWC is about $90. I'm hoping "Voom" ends up adding enough channels to make it worth switching to for HD. My other problem is I can't get anything OTA, so I'm hoping "someone" puts HD on locals someday.

PQ on Dish is better than TWC, and DD sound is MUCH better on Dish.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Question: If I opt for cable internet and tv, do I have to pay for them seperately or is it all in one? (I am not referring to 2 bills vs 1 bill, I am referring to $45 for internet and tv or 90 for internet and tv)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The cost is usually 40-50 for cable and 40-50 for internet, meaning your total bill is somewhere around 80-100 bucks a month. Of course this could change if you have digital, HD, or movie channels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.