AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.. I finally got my tv in.. 46".. havent hooked it up yet because I am moving to a new house, but I am having trouble with a decision i know you can help with..

I have had Dish Network for 13 years and have liked it because of the DVRs because i never watch live tv.. I was considering cable, *Not digital* with the new house, and Tivo HD

The installer is coming tomorrow to hook up the internet and i am supposed to know for sure on the cable, this is the hardest decision i have made in a long time.. I might save a few dollars.. BUT, is the picture quality going to be horrible on normal analog cable.. is it worse than Dish??

The main reason i considered tivo was because i like the way the Tivo Desktop works from what i have read about how you can transfer whatever shows you want straight to the pc.. they need another way to do that without tivo.. or i havent figured one out yet..

INPUT PLEASE Dish or analog cable? The cable company doesnt do cablecards...

thanks

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
The quality of any SD service on a 46" set generally ranges from bad to terrible, so I would strongly suggest rethinking the SD-only plan.

Unless you're on some tiny backwater cable system with only a couple thousand subscribers (or with no digital service available at all
), they're required by the FCC to offer CableCards as an option. If they do fall into those excluded categories, I would kick them to the curb and get Dish or DirecTV with HD service. DirecTV has more HD channels and better picture quality, though Dish's DVR interface is superior at this time. That having been said, Tivo and DirecTV have announced plans to release a new Tivo for DirecTV service in the second half of this year, so Dish's superiority in DVR interface on satellite service may be coming to an end soon.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyh /forum/post/15481537

Hi Guys.. I finally got my tv in.. 46".. havent hooked it up yet because I am moving to a new house, but I am having trouble with a decision i know you can help with..

I have had Dish Network for 13 years and have liked it because of the DVRs because i never watch live tv.. I was considering cable, *Not digital* with the new house, and Tivo HD

The installer is coming tomorrow to hook up the internet and i am supposed to know for sure on the cable, this is the hardest decision i have made in a long time.. I might save a few dollars.. BUT, is the picture quality going to be horrible on normal analog cable.. is it worse than Dish??

The main reason i considered tivo was because i like the way the Tivo Desktop works from what i have read about how you can transfer whatever shows you want straight to the pc.. they need another way to do that without tivo.. or i havent figured one out yet..

INPUT PLEASE Dish or analog cable? The cable company doesnt do cablecards...

thanks

Your title says 1080p.

That ends the decision for you right there as cable offers NO 1080p.

Granted, Dish offers very limited 1080p on PPV movies and only on certain tvs, but apparently 1080p is the "buzzword" you are looking for - and cable does not offer it.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Highly-compressed cable and satellite SD channels can look pretty horrid on larger HDTVs. If I were you, I would see how satisfied you are with SD channels on your new TV before determining how to proceed.

You didn't mention your previous display size...but if you were watching satellite SD on a 27-35" screen, you may be in for quite a shock when you see how it looks on a 46" 1080p display.

In your situation (no CableCards available), I would opt for the Dish 722 DVR with one of their HD-only packages. Their high-definition picture quality isn't as good as DirecTV or some cable providers, but it's a hell of a lot better than analog SD.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and thanks.. 1080 p is not a requirement, just letting you know what i have. I just replaced a 42" 1080P set i gave to my son.. I have dish 622 and have been happy with it, just hoping my signal will be good there. I chose NOT to go to cable today, they do not yet offer cablecards.. So, i will stay with dish since i am not under contract can change to direct in the future if i want to..

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
What cable company are you with that claims they don't offer CableCARDs? Unless it's a *really* small local, they almost certainly will have to. It's not uncommon for them to claim they don't have to (I got that when I was signing up with my current cableco), just because they really don't *feel* like it. Just FYI.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, its a really really small company.. its called semo communications in missouri.. truly small town. I talked to the installer today and he said anyone with HD is not liking the picture they have. They are "in the process" of getting cablecards and then they have to figure out how to use them. Also in the process of testing a dvr unit for digital.. i will stick with dish

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyh /forum/post/15493024

.. i will stick with dish

Good choice.

Topic title edited.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
Off topic posts deleted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts