AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cable will make out like bandits now that E* and DTV are one. It should take less than a week for their ads to read: "Why get stuck with orphan equipment ?"; "No up front costs"; "It will take years for E* and DTV to get things in order-why wait ?"

E* had better release some future plans soon or their market will stagnate. Who would buy a new SAT dish now ? And which one from what company ? Will RCA/Sony, etc. dump their products-who's going to buy them now ?

BTW-technical question: Since both boxes use smart cards, couldn't there be a software upgrade to make them receive programs from the same SATs(except for the ones that don't share the same aim)?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Are we talking about the same cable companies that couldn't figure out HDTV if their lives depended on it (luckily for them, with J6P on board, it doesn't)?

Yes, E* has lots to work out--I doubt you'll see too much info from them in the near term, since they have the DOJ to deal with on the stupid monopoly concerns.

I'm not an expert, but I think that E* and DTV use radically different encryption schemes (E*'s being superior and not yet hacked), as well as different encoding techniques. So, to me, that means nil chance of modifying a box to handle each other's satellites. Assuming thsi goes through, I'd expect to see both run in parallel for a while, with the ultimate move to E* equipment, once all the issues have been sufficiently dealt with (e.g., OEM).

On an aside, I think E* will expand their focusing on amortizing the "purchase" of their equipment--they have been moving to a pseudo-rental pricing policy on the boxes, so this could be the answer to dealing with the DTV-toE* HW turnover (e.g., not forcing DTV customers to pony up $$$ for a new box, but just slapping a few extra bucks on the monthly bill). A page from the cable playbook.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amillians

I'm not an expert, but I think that E* and DTV use radically different encryption schemes (E*'s being superior and not yet hacked), as well as different encoding techniques.
A common but incorrect misconception. Dish is just as easy to hack as DirecTV and both have been hacked. There is no real incentive to hack a Dish system since they do not offer any of the expensive pro sports packages. Also, the DirecTV equipment with a "virgin" card was much easier to obtain since it is sold in several major retail outlets. This part of the problem has been recently rectified by DirecTV no shipping those systems with access cards.

As I have stated in several threads Dish will not be swapping out the DirecTV equipment in favor of Dish equipment. In his presentation to the GM board earlier this summer he stated that all boxes (both Dish and DirecTV) would be swapped out in favor of a new Hughes-Echostar design with a multiple layer access control. The proposed deal included approx $3 billion to cover the cost to subscribers.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quote:
Who would buy a new SAT dish now ?
I think it's safe to say that the average joe-blow consumer doesn't even know Dish Network exists. Well, perhaps more so now than a year ago, now that Sears is selling Dish equipment. But face it, everything from Radio Shack to AOL to Circuit City and Best Buy, and other major electronics outlets that people go to buy a satellite system have all been carrying DirecTV. I see at least two or three DTV commercials a night (they're pretty funny, actually)

They also announced that the company would remain Echostar and would use the DirecTV brand name. That indicates to me that I now own a DirecTV programming package that uses Echostar hardware. "Dish Network" will become a thing of the past. I think it's a wise move to capitalize on the brand recognition value of DirecTV.

To that end, the average joe-blow consumer is still going to get DirecTV. It'll be a year before this deal is even finished, and another 6 months to a year before new hardware is ready to roll out. They can't just switch everything over overnight, either. It's going to be a long, drawn-out process that will take several years to consolidate.

But I guess my point is that someone going to Best Buy to get a DBS system is going to buy DirecTV.

Hey, their sales people will tell you anything to get you to buy one anyway!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Probably get an STB that will input into the component inputs which will necessitate some type of switch if, like me, you have a component DVD hooked up to these components. Now we owners of RCA sets will have two stb's that generate a fan noise! Aren't we lucky?

·
Registered
35 Posts
And that STB better not have a down-res-ed signal passed through the analog component connection or I'm gonna be PIS*ED.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.