AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it took some persistance and some time, but my TWC Cable HD install is running well (elapsed time 13 days including tropical storm Alyson complications). I now have ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,HBO-E,HBO-W,SHO-E,SHO-W and sooner or later PBS looking good over the wire. DirectTV assured me that their local into local carried whatever the broadcaster was providing including HD, but..., I'm now resigned from their roles for the first time since the beginning of DBS. Goodbye Tanya.

I used some contacts found by searching Houston TWC HD in this forum to get the job done, but they have asked that initial install and startup be handled through the routine CSR route. If you get stuck however, Bryan (hint) can bring a higher level of attention to your problems.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TerryB:
DirectTV assured me that their local into local carried whatever the broadcaster was providing including HD
DBS companies will not be carrying HDTV locals. With current technology and frequency allocations it is (nearly) impossible to carry full HDTV channels of all the local in local channels.

It is stretching todays technology to just carry all the NTSC stations.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
welcome to TWC Houston HD terry... its great. sure saved me some money when they offered to rent me this decoder for $4 a month. im wondering if i could replace this general instruments hdd-200 with something else though. would twc hd still work?

------------------
ADebar's DVD Profiler

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am lost are you saying that your cable company ATT is broadcasting their channels in HDTV? That surely is not happening in Seattle.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jaye,

I am saying that Time Warner Cable in Houston Tx. has on its digital service all of the listed channels in standard and HD modes. Using their equipment (I tried the DTC-100 on the RF out of the Digital box without success) I am able to see the HD video and decode the Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1 as sent out by the source provider.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Do you have the Explorer 2100 Box?

If so did they give you a manual?

If so, can you tell how to adjust aspect ratio output?

TWC Central Fl. is unable to provide any help.

Thank You

Brent McCall

Tsunami HT

(800) 221-0932 #230

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No manual, two slide type selectors native/480p/720p/1080i and rgb/componant but as Scotland Yard syas, 'we shall make inquires'. Don't hold your breath, there is no remote, hard on off button, seems like a one trick pony.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Wow!!! I almost wished I lived in Texas! Here in NJ I can get all of those channels, but OTA which has its own intermittent problems due to whether and everything else. I wish Cablevision here would clean up there act.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Is that Scientific Atlanta 2100 mentioned in this post ... a HD box ?

I am in Columbia SC and we are being given the 2000HD box made by Scientific Atlanta.

Also is there way to get into the service mode to enable the DD5.1 output on the digital coax ? My box does not output it. I have confirmed that the signal is being sent by using a non-HD digital box made by the same company (model# 2100 ... not a HD box)

Regards.

Max

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't seen anything 'settable' about the audio from the HD box. There is a connection from the data port on the Cable Decoder to the HD box data in, this provides the HD video and digital audio from the HD channels only. I connect the digital audion out from the HD box to my receiver's 5.1 coax input. If I hook up another RCA style cable from an output port on the cable box(wierd 4 letter acronym label) to the HD digital audio input RCA socket, this will add PCM from the other digital tier channels. I still have to switch receiver modes to use the analog stereo pair for the analog cable channels as the HD box won't mix the analog stereo into the HD picture upconverted from the analog channels.

I am not able to find Dolby Digital on any of the non HD channels like Starz or HBO SD. Has anyone figured out how this works?

Terry

·
Registered
42 Posts
I,m getting HBO-HD from TWC WITH THE SA2000HD BOX.

The coaxial digital output goes to my DENNON 4800.

A lot of HBO'S HDTV MOVIES light up the DTS LOGO PLUS ALL FIVE RED LCD'S INDICATING their broadcasting the DTS SIGNAL rather tan DOLBY DIGITAL.

RICHARD

·
Registered
170 Posts
What is the timing on carrying PBS? I may have to switch back from DISH and that Winegard in my attic if they get Channel 9/80 on board.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got an email on 11 July from the chief engineer at KUHT who said that they were inside 60 days if everything hangs together.

On the audio mixture thing, my Sony ES receiver can be set to switch from COAX to analog pair when there is no coax signal but the coax must not go down gracefully, 'cause I can force the receiver to go to analog but it won't switch just because I changed to an analog cable channel, which is what should be happening.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richard-s:
A lot of HBO'S HDTV MOVIES light up the DTS LOGO PLUS ALL FIVE RED LCD'S INDICATING their broadcasting the DTS SIGNAL rather tan DOLBY DIGITAL.
I find that hard to believe. While technically possible, I have not seen anyone mention DTS sound with HDTV since DTS is not part of the ATSC spec. (The most well-known and adopted HDTV standard.) Of course the cable guys can do anything they want. But they are hesitant to waste bandwidth on HDTV at all, why waste bandwidth on a (more bandwidth intensive) DTS soundtrack. Why would HBO go through the hassle of creating one for the extremely tiny % of markets that can broadcast such a signal, let alone the tiny % of viewers that can actually decode such a signal?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
There is no DTS being used by anyone for HDTV.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.