AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so I apologize if I did something wrong.

I don't have a very good reason to believe in the theory that über-expensive, exotic cables hold a discernible advantage over "regular" speaker wire besides that of bling factor. That said, I'd like to get people's thoughts on what some down-to-earth companies there might be that manufacture high-quality* cables and termination hardware that are relatively inexpensive. I'm probably looking to get 12 AWG for runs of no more than 40-50 ft.

*Quality defined as: high conductivity, will not corrode, durable, well insulated/shielded, ...and, okay, maybe just a little bling looking.

I've heard good things about Blue Jean Cable. Any others?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If pre-terminated cables is what you are looking for, then there is no reason to look any further than Blue Jeans Cable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about for RCA cables? The ones at Blue Jeans are actually not inexpensive (around $30 for a 3 ft run). Is it worth the added cost over monoprice?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
by "RCA cables", do you mean RCA audio cables .... or ....RCA component video cables. I have been very pleased with both types purchased from www.monoprice.com Blue Jeans cables are excellent, but you do pay more for "fit and finish" - I really doubt on cables less than 15' to 20' you would ever notice any difference in performance.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/14270176

by "RCA cables", do you mean RCA audio cables .... or ....RCA component video cables. I have been very pleased with both types purchased from www.monoprice.com Blue Jeans cables are excellent, but you do pay more for "fit and finish" - I really doubt on cables less than 15' to 20' you would ever notice any difference in performance.

I agree.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/14270176

Sorry, I was specifically referring to RCA audio. I actually don't care much for the styling of the Blue Jeans ones, but they appear to use "higher quality" components.

·
Registered
480 Posts
All my cables are from Audioquest. They have cables in every price point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been extremely happy with the cables from Better Cables.

They are extremely well made, and the picture and audio quality of the cables is excellent.

They've also had some great reviews from the high-end community as well.

They are a little more money than the budget cables are, but not nearly as expensive as the boutique brands.

JMTCW

Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have used Blue Jeans cable (still do for speaker wire). For RCA's I went from Blue Jeans Cable to signal cable and noticed a nice improvement. (Better highs, less boomy bass) I have since switched to braided silver cables from Ben at BWaudio.net . They are first rate and blend really well with my laid back Polk LSi speakers. (overall better synergy in my system than the signal cables had)

To each their own, but those have been my experiences.

Michael

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Monoprice for cables, usually, although I look at BJC, too. But Monoprice's store/warehouse is out here so shipping is really fast.

Speaker wire? Lowes Depot for me. I live about five blocks from one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought two 7.5ft lengths of Phoenix Gold 12 AWG stranded with clear jacket ($18.75) and 10ft lengths of Audioquest Type 4 ($200) solid core and will do some comparisons this week. The place where I got the Audioquest has a 30 day return policy, so I'm not too concerned.

Quite skeptical that solid core will produce any discernible difference, but the only way to tell is by trying
I can't argue that the Audioquest is nice-looking, but I'm not a fan of how inflexible it is.

I have to admit, I'd kind of like to find some bling banana connectors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts