AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some of you will say "Why don't you just go with the STB," well that's not really a viable option in this case. It costs $15 per month to get a set top box, and i'll i'm interested in is getting the HD channels, plus i don't really feel like investing in cables, even if they are monoprice cables. I am just wondering is there any way to hook up a cablecard to a high-definition television. I was wondering because there aren't many options as far as lcd's go for cablecards. I know that you can get certain dvr boxes to support cable cards, but they are all expensive, and doing that it would probably be cheaper to get a STB, so if there are any dvd recorders you know of that support cablecards, and are cost effective, or if there is a such thing as an adapter for a cablecard, but i've looked an have seen nothing so far,

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Your first HD STB should be included in your monthly cable charge. Additional STB's do not cost $15. The highest I have ever seen is $9.99/m. Most cost between $5 and 8/m. I would recheck those fees with your cableco. There is no way to "adapt" a CableCard to a TV that doesn't have a slot factory installed, sorry. If you aren't going to invest a couple bucks on the HD services and monoprice cables then there is no reason to have an HDTV. You will be charged with HDTV abuse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The digital cable service, which i have no interest in using, costs $10/month, and the box cost $5/month to lease, hence $15 a month versus the 2$ a month i'm paying for one cablecard already. Comcast is already ripping me off with $60/month for standard cable

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will go to Fios when it gets here, which is hopefully in july or august, but with rendell god knows when fios will be here. And i've heard horror stories about satellite from neighbors because living in pittsburgh it always rains and snows.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Satellite works great in the rain/snow if you have it set-up correctly. A poor set-up leads to loss of signal. Why not give the king of HD a try? Sign up for Dish Network and try it out. They have soooo many HD channels. Then when FIOS gets to you, switch over to that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am also looking for a cablecard adapter for a small HD LCD. I cannot find a cablecard ready 20" TV for the bathroom. I do not have the space for a STB, so I thought if they made a cablecard adapter, I could just install the cablecard and plug it into the back of the TV through the component cables. I guess the other way I could do it would be to place a STB in the attic above the bathroom and somehow control it with the use of a RF remote control. ( If they make something like that) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Cablecards are only in TVs, a few select OEM boxes, most noteablly the tivo series 3, and are now being rolled out in some high end HTPCs. Your best bet would be to get an RF remote and hide the cablebox out of the way. Tivo is rumored to have a lower-end hdtv box out later this month. But if you are looking for a little adapter that takes a coax, plugs into a small box and outputs unencrypted HD..... it does not exist and there are no plans to make one AFAIK.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have a solution.

You can take a TV that has cablecard and remove the ~electronics~ from it.

Then, instead of connecting to the DLP optics, you can connect it to your 20" LCD via DVI cable (if it has digital input).

I actually did this, and it is currently working fine. Of course, I had the available parts from which I built this device.

best of luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for your replies. The problem isn't paying the monthly price for the STB. I just do not have the room for the big ugly box. I need to hang the LCD on the wall. Someone should market an adapter. I know of several people who would purchase one for the bedroom or kitchen.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/0

You don't necessarily need to get digital cable to get an HD box (which is only going to be $5-$6 per month anyway). Go down to the comcast service center and ask for the HD, non-DVR box.

When you get an HD box with Basic or Standard for Locals, it is $8.95.

Those people with Digital Classic or above, have a fee that includes a Digital Box (otherwise $4.15), so they pay $5 to upgrade to an HD Box, total effective cost, $9.15.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.