AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had Comcast standard cable for many years now and for the last 4 years, have had it connected through a 3-Tuner MOXI with a Comcast cablecard as well as through a standard Comcast Motorola STB. Today I added Comcast’s premium package (HBO, Showtime, etc.) but after spending considerable time on the phone with their tech support, we have been unable to get the premium channels operating through the MOXI cablecard (the premium channels are received fine with the STB however).

I worked with 2 different techs at various times throughout the day. Since I can get the premium channels fine on the STB, the problem seems clearly to be with the cablecard and cablecard pairing. Also, I CAN still get the non-premium HD Comcast channels through the Cablecard just as I have been doing for several, years now. If I tune to any of the premium channels on the MOXI, I get the standard white screen which shows the cablecard ID #, MAC ID, DATA ID, etc. which I believe means that the cablecard needs re-pairing. After I give them the ID data on the TV screen, the techs (both of whom seemed quite knowledgeable about the cablecard pairing process) have tried re-pairing the card several times and sending a “HIT” to activate it. Nothing has happened with each attempt.

They have also had me remove the cablecard entirely from the MOXI and re-inserting it to let the card reboot. After trying this several times, it had no effect on the problem any of the times. They also had me do several power on reboots of the MOXI box itself and again, none of those attempts had any changes to the problem. I had to have a re-pairing of the cablecard done a year ago after replacing the hard drive on the MOXI and it only took one attempt which went without a hitch. I realized that proper pairing is more critical for premium channels however. Comcast said there is nothing more that they can try on their end and is sending out a tech for a home visit next week.

I can’t see what he will be able to accomplish by doing that however since all he will do is check the signal strength (which is obviously ok since my internet, cable phone, premium channels on the STB, and non-premium channels on the MOXI all work fine) and read back the numbers and ID data on the white screen to HQ, which I have already done several times.

I suppose the one thing left that he could do which hasn’t been done so far is to replace the cablecard with a new one but I can’t see where that will make any difference since the cablecard is already working fine on the non-premium channels. Has anyone else been through this before and have any ideas on what might be going on? I am stumped and Comcast also seems stumped.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
The MOXI probably isn't HDCP compliant. At least that's my guess. Copy once and copy never programming requires a secure path.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy  /t/1521500/cablecard-can-t-decode-premium-channels-after-pairing-comcast-stumped#post_24454128

The MOXI probably isn't HDCP compliant. At least that's my guess. Copy once and copy never programming requires a secure path.

Thanks for the response! I managed to get it going. For anyone interested who may experience something similar, here's what I did. I decided to do some googling on Comcast cablecard problems and discovered on a NON-COMCAST site (CETON) that Comcast has a separate support hotline DEDICATED to cablecard support (I have placed the entire post with the Comcast 800 support number below). I gave that number a try and the gal found out right away that they had an incorrect Data ID number in their system for my cablecard. She corrected it and had me up and running in 5 minutes!

I was very impressed with that specialized tech support line for cablecards. It’s too bad that the techs in the Comcast regular support department that I spent several hours on the phone with earlier didn’t refer me to that line. For that matter, they apparently didn’t even know it existed!

http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/cablecard-activation/

>>CableCARD Activation

Sample CableCARD. Your version might look different.

All cable operators must allow self-installation of CableCARDs and many cable providers have a dedicated CableCARD support hotline. We have listed a few below:

Comcast:877-405-2298

Comcast Automated: 800-671-9094

Cox: 888-556-1193

RCN: 888-891-7770

Time Warner: 866-606-5889

Verizon:888-897-7499

Self-install: http://www.verizon.com/fiostv/selfinstall

TV Setup in Windows Media Center will guide you through the CableCARD activation and pairing process and provide you with the necessary pairing information to give your cable support technician by phone. If you have difficulty with activation and pairing of the CableCARD, please visit Ceton Support or call us at 866-265-5541.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts