AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any talk at all about a cablecard adaptor for the slots in the commercial Panasonic series?

I would love to get a 50" 8U, but I can't stand the garbage I get from Comcast's Motorola 62xx HD settop box and see the cablecard as being really important for getting the best quality for the short term.

Unfortunately, that feature rules out the commercial series and has me looking seriously at the x50 or x500 sets. I don't want the speakers, can't stand the extra height and the silver color, but I think not getting a cablecard is leaving too many options off the table.

So, I'm wondering if there's been any talk about a slot card (blade?) for the commercial units that would take a coaxial input and provide a cablecard interface.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i haven't heard anything, but then again the 8uk 50" commercial isn't out yet. we'll see. Probably not, if I had to guess. I think the lack of cable card is a small trade-off when you consider all of the advantages to the commercial display. I'm curious to see how much these 50" HD 8th generation commercial panny's go for. I'm hoping we can get under 3K in the next couple of months for that kind of display, or at least a 7UY.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
No CableCARD blade for Commercial Models yet.

Quote:
I'm hoping we can get under 3K in the next couple of months for that kind of display, or at least a 7UY.
Check out the price Plasma Concepts (link above) is selling the TH-50PHD8UK. ;)

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ

The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.

Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur
Bruzzi, do you think they will ever offer this? That feature would make me buy a TH-50PHD8UK today.
A CableCard works in conjunction with a QAM cable tuner, but since the commercial models have no tuner whatsoever there's no need for a CableCard blade to exist.

If they did develop a CableCard blade it would also have to have a built-in micro QAM tuner so the card has something to authorize :D

Is the TH-50PX50U out of the question?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Bruzzi, do you think they will ever offer this? That feature would make me buy a TH-50PHD8UK today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
A CableCard works in conjunction with a QAM cable tuner, but since the commercial models have no tuner whatsoever there's no need for a CableCard blade to exist...
And just adding on what Randy Walters said...

The Commercial Displays are still target for Business and Commercial applications where (in most cases) the above features aren't needed. So I don't think Panasonic will offer optional tuners with cableCARD anytime soon.

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ

The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.

Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It has been the postings of optivity that has convinced me the CC is the way to go.

Quote:
And just adding on what Randy Walters said...

The Commercial Displays are still target for Business and Commercial applications where (in most cases) the above features aren't needed. So I don't think Panasonic will offer optional tuners with cableCARD anytime soon.
Thanks Bruzzi, Seems like there would be enough commercial applications that use these panels to show cable that it would warrant the CC addition. Example - I know a local wire house and a mortgage brokerage firm that both have commercial panny displays that show cnbc in there lobbies via comcast cable.

Quote:
Is the TH-50PX50U out of the question?
Thanks also Randy, the TH-50PX50U or 500 is what I will most likely get, however I like the look of the 8uk better. From what I have read over the past 4 months the Commercial models also can be more precisely adjusted via the service menu, I do not need speakers, and like the ability to add blades.

Oh well decisions decisions, I am starting to hate myself for stumbling across this forum 4 months ago, 1 week before I was ready to buy a 50inch Sammy DLP! :D

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Thanks also Randy, the TH-50PX50U or 500 is what I will most likely get, however I like the look of the 8uk better. From what I have read over the past 4 months the Commercial models also can be more precisely adjusted via the service menu, I do not need speakers, and like the ability to add blades.
I'm not sure if the lack of CableCard capability is worth settling for a panel that isn't what you really want. The 8UK's better adjustability might actually give you the ability to make it look better with an STB than a PX50U with a CableCard. I much prefer the Commercial model for several reasons but it's minimal number of inputs and lack of audio output jacks forced me to buy the consumer model instead. The 7UY/8UK is simply incompatible with my H/T setup. Pity.

My experience with the CableCard is that true HD only looks slightly better than it does through my Pioneer 3510HD connected via Component. I toggled between the two inputs on various channels and if i hadn't seen the two back to back i might not have realized there was even a difference. HD looks spectacular on both, just a few percent less so with the HD STB.

The bigger difference was with analog and digital non-HD programming - it actually looks better through the 3510HD (via S-Video) and my regular SA8000 than it does through the TV's internal QAM tuner with or without the CableCard. The TV's tuner makes SD a little grainy and noisy where it's clean and clear through the STBs. TWC Tech says this is normal behaviour for their system.

I returned the CableCard after a few weeks of experimentation since i watch 95% of my programs time-shifted with my two DVRs which makes a CableCard useless to me. The 3510HD is normally in a bedroom but i rarely watch HD with it.

HD through my SA8000HD on the other hand looks about 15% worse than it does through the 3510HD or the built-in QAM tuner but this is a well known fault of the 8000HD, and the newer SA8300HD fixes this with much better PQ rivaling that of the 3510HD. Someday i'll trade up :)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Completely OT, but the 8300HD is definitely better than the 8000HD. I rented the 8000 for a while, then bought the 8300 when it was released by our cable company last year. Also, its ability to output SD at all times was the real clincher for me.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansevush
cablecard for commercial Panny slots?
No. Commercial monitors will never be configured to accommodate a CableCARD slot because they lack the internal tuner's required for DCR TV's.
Quote:
It has been the postings of optivity that has convinced me the CC is the way to go.
:eek: the pressure

With the 20% price reduction off the MSRP today at CC plus an additional $400 back... you may wish to consider purchasing the PX50U consumer PDP-TV. A 30-day money back guarantee and in-home service are just two of the advantages buyers have when purchasing a consumer TV.

(not to mention they come with a CableCARD slot)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does the cable card offer full function of the STB?

I have Comcast and on-demand is my new way of life. I have also become addicted to the 'info' button. Unless the cable card offered full use of these features, I wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

-Justin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.