AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tv does not have a slot for a cablecard but I see adapters that can make that work. Does anyone have any experience on using a cablecard with a Magnavoxa 537 or any of their other DVR boxes?

·
Registered
15,289 Posts
There aren't any DVD recorders that use cable cards. Tivos and PC tuners do use cable cards, as well as one tuner from Samsung. So if you get such a device, you'd record on in rather than a DVD recorder, so there is no point in even trying to make one work with a DVD recorder. I've used Tivo successfully in the past and currently use a PC with a cable card tuner, both of which far outperform DVD recorders by several orders of magnitude. You get a guide, HD recording and playback, vast recording space, beautiful interface, simple operation (no timers to deal with), an experience equal to or even better than cable and satellite DVRs.

There is no such thing as a cable card adapter, only tuners and DVRs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
11,602 Posts

Something like that might have worked as a tuner and then you'd record the line output but the problem is Samsung neglected to include anything other than a HDMI output, not even one lowly composite output

While you can purchase HDMI to composite converters the quality is generally sub standard and not equal to even a native composite output. No you'd need a tuner with a CC slot that had at least a composite or better yet S-Video output to get decent quality recordings.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1498949/samsung-gx-sm530cf-cablecard-tuner-and-media-streamer

Link to the Samsung AVS master thread for that tuner.

·
Registered
15,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanieq  /t/1522819/cablecard/0_100#post_24492772

The Magnoavox DVR does not record to DVD unless you make that selection. It records to a hard drive.
Understood. I was referring to that group of VCR-style DVRs. They all work the same regardless of the type of drive.

Your understanding of cable card devices isn't quite right. Check out this link to get an idea of what the possibilities are: http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv/

Anyway, why spend $150 on a single cable card tuner and still be stuck with one recording at a time of SD only, no guide, VCR style timers, etc., when you can spend just $100 (on ebay) and get 4 or more simultaneous tuners, in full HD, full guide, whole home DVR, the whole nine yards? Just plug it into the same LAN as the PC you typed this on and you're done. The all digital switchover is a sign from above that you need to retire that Magnovox and use a much better, modern solution. I've been doing it for years, and it works beautifully. I find it much simpler than dealing with timers and complicated hookups required by old VCR-style recorders (HDD/DVD recorders like Magnavox). You don't even have to connect the PC to your TV at all. Just use one of many extenders, and you end up with a system far better and simpler than your Magnavox.

If a PC based system still isn't your cup of tea, a used dual tuner Tivo with lifetime service is around $300 on ebay, cheaper than the combined cost of your Magnavox and a Samsung tuner that may not even work. If you sell your Maggie, that pays for most of a Tivo. And when you get tired of the Tivo, you can resell it and get most of your money back (thanks to the value of the lifetime subscription).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Extremely interesting suggestions. I have to agree I do not know much about this and i will to immerse myself for a while longer before I make a decision. Also I want to wait to see what happens with the TWC/Comcast merger. Big changes are coming in 2015 these carriers are supposed to go all digital. I have basic cable (TWC calls it "Starter Cable") and the Magnavox picks up about eight stations that are not in the Starter TV list and I would not want to lose them. I have a Roku and Netflix and Amazon Prime so I do not watch very much regular TV. Right now I am only watching five shows and some of the Sunday morning political shows.

I do not get all the digital channels even those that I should be getting and TWC is going to have to do something about that. I will hold off for now.

BTW whatever I set up I want to watch on my 46" screen not my laptop..

Thank you for the response.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts