AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Moto M-CableCard from a local comcast store today. They also gave me a handout with instructions and a number to call for setup. The first cable card is free in my area and the second one is $1.50.

Just passing the message along.

EDIT: Attached PDF of install instructions

comcast.pdf 254.857421875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker /forum/post/20767597

I picked up a Moto M-CableCard from a local comcast store today. They also gave me a handout with instructions and a number to call for setup. The first cable card is free in my area and the second one is $1.50.

Good deal and thanks for the share ymarker!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I was told by Verizon (FIOS) in MA that cable cards were not yet able to be picked up, but I did get 2 sent to me via UPS. Took a few weeks and a few calls, but I do have them here!

They shipped 2 boxes (1 card per box) with instructions on the self-install (phone or web site).

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well it is federal law after all, I wonder how they'll try to make it difficult on their customers so they won't try to make them abide by it, I guess their current way for having their employees not being trained or pretending not to know what a cablecard is or how to order one could still carry over, at least for those that require Cisco T/As won't have the headaches of getting the second one if they have a tuner card that has more than 2 tuners w/ one of the other new laws requiring them to support 6 streams.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just happy I didn't have to pay the bogus $50 truck roll fee for the tech to drop off the card and we typically just end up setting it up ourselves as they are clueless.

One aspect I was pleased to see is that most of the comcast folks I talked to were aware of M cablecards and I didn't need to resort to the "card for the tivo" line.

Just keep in mind that not all locations have received stock yet, but they should be getting them this week. Unfortunately, I have not found an easy way to figure out which location has stock other than by actually stopping by them and asking them in person.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker /forum/post/20767597

No activation website? Losers - they did this for the DTAs, it's not rocket science. Oh well, at least we don't need a stupid truck roll now.

·
Registered
Yamaha TSR700 (Bose 301II’s), DirecTV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Philips 4K BDP, LG 75” Nanocell
594 Posts
My deceased Sammy DLP has a cable card slot. The new LG 47LV5500 does not.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's been that way for awhile now. I self installed two cards (one ended up being bad) about 4 months ago. The issue is not with picking up the card, it's with getting the idiots at Comcast to properly pair the card. That causes major headaches.

·
Registered
11,454 Posts
Charter doesn't do self-install of cable cards. It is a $25 truck roll that is easy to have them waive.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by likelinus /forum/post/20770382

It's been that way for awhile now. I self installed two cards (one ended up being bad) about 4 months ago. The issue is not with picking up the card, it's with getting the idiots at Comcast to properly pair the card. That causes major headaches.

It wasn't officially supported at Comcast until August 1 though.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Cox requires a truck roll and installation here in NOLA.

Over the yrs, I've come to realize just how few people use CC's here -- I've had the same CC installation guy EVERY SINGLE TIME, and that's for 8 cable cards that I use for Tivo's and HTPC.

I almost feel like I should send the guy a Christmas card at this point.

·
Registered
959 Posts
@Sammy2 and NewOrlnsDukie

You both probably got your cablecards prior to yesterday and that's why they didn't allow self installs, unless your providers were granted an extension they required by law to offer self installs now(I'd think if they're a small back woods cable company it would be more likely to get one and neither Charter or Cox are though some of their markets might have been prior to them taking over).

·
Registered
11,454 Posts
I actually just got off chat with them right before I posted. Maybe the guy didn't get the memo.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/20769506

Is it a special 800 number for setup with Comcast? I already have the CableCard in an ATI tuner and am considering switching to a Ceton, so would need to re-pair the tuner again.

I updated the OP with a PDF of the install instructions I was provided. It has the 800 number to call for setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

I have a question regarding comcast, hoping someone might know. I have 2 set top boxes and a 3rd tv with no box, so I wanted to put a hauppauge 2650 on that tv, to get my premium channels on that tv as well.

The question is, if I get a cablecard, which is supposed to mean the first cablecard is free, do they then get to begin to bill me for my 2nd cable box? Right now with 2 boxes and no 3rd thing, the 2nd box is free. As this is a cablecard, I should think it should not affect my box status, but called comcast and they're saying it will affect it, and the cablecard will be free, but the 2nd box then will be charged to me. This sounds like BS and am hoping someone else might have a similar setup. The only reason I wanted to keep the 2 boxes at all is for the on demand on those 2 tvs, othwise I would have probably opted for an hdhomerun prime. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.