AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read here and other places that the reason adoption is slow to take is because there are so few people who have HD sets, let alone, there are few that even care, in comparison to the universe of TV owners.

Then I read in other places that where ever TWC and Comcast provide HD in a given market, they don't have enough supply of HD STB's, and people are forced to wait for the boxes.

Doesn't this seem like a contradiction?

I think I read here that cable has a 60% adoption of the TV market. And based on other comments I have read, a sizable majority of all HDTV owners are getting HD content via satellite and OTA.

It seems like either the cable companies are completely inept at market research, or someone is lying about HDTV market penetration.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I dont see it as a contradiction. Upwards of 3 million digital tv's have been sold but only a few hundred thousand digital tuners/satellite HD receivers. Partly because those HD tuners/receivers continue to cost 500+ for the most part but also because as you say, 60% of the homes in this country are cable homes to begin with. And want to/have to stay that way

What thats telling me is people are waiting for cable tv to provide the digital channels. Locals, and HBO HD etc as well. Not only for the 2 plus million set owners that havent even bought an HD receiver/OTA tuner of any kind yet (only using the new set for DVD's etc), but also before many many more millions of the sets themselves are sold.

You bet in the few areas that cable tv has rolled out HD the boxes are in high demand. And once the rest of the cable co's get on board this transition will hopefully finally take off for the above reasons and others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.