AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the 300u, and I was wondering if I could get some input on cables. I will be running a component, composite RCA, and an s-video. What are some recommendations? For example, what do you think about the 50 ft long component cable that cables america sells for around $40? I need 25+ feet. I'm not too awfully concerned with the composite and s-video, but I'd like the component to be a little better quality (not too much $$ though). To be honest, with my past experience, I'm not too impressed with high end cables, like monster.

Also, I'm going to be ceiling mounting my projector. I will probably run a extension cord for power to the unit through the ceiling with the video cables. Is sheilding going to be a problem?

· Registered
587 Posts
Or try a2zcables.com

· Registered
159 Posts
Just be careful that the S-VHS isent too long, there is a huge signal loss in long S-VHS composite can handle it much better.

I would worry about the S-VHS and not too much about the others.

Cheers

· Registered
315 Posts
I purchased a 30 ft. component cable from SVIDEO.COM. (Thanks MDMACLEAN!!) They appear to be fantastic cables. They are incredibly slim and very flexible. Also they are grouped together in a single jacket that can be seperated.

I needed a thin flexible cable as I have a drywall finished room and need to run raceway for the cables.

-Tim

· Registered
29 Posts
I got my component and composite cables from rhinocables.com. They seem to be similar to the bluejeans cables but for less money.

I got the SVideo cable on closeout from PartsExpress.com for about $5. It's a 40' cable with gold plated ends. It is a cheap cable, but it seems to work fine. In fact, the picture looks amazing.

Finally, I'm also running a VGA cable that I got from PCCables.com.

· Registered
222 Posts
my component cables are from bluejeans. fully satisfied and great service.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've kind of looked at bluejeans and rhino, etc. For my situation, 30'-35' run(partially through ceiling), what would be recommend? I don't want to pay a lot, but I also don't want junky cables.

· Registered
222 Posts
grog_lives

my cables from bluejeans were 30 ft and i have no regrets buying good cables. i did try to make my own from rg-6 coaxial cable, however found it difficult to get a solid connection (eg. with the rca connectors). so if you are on a buget you may want to try making them, however if you can afford i would strongly recommend buying prof. made cables. nothing worse than second guessing whether your pj is receiving the best signal.

good luck

· Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timoteo
I purchased a 30 ft. component cable from SVIDEO.COM. (Thanks MDMACLEAN!!) They appear to be fantastic cables. They are incredibly slim and very flexible. Also they are grouped together in a single jacket that can be seperated.

I needed a thin flexible cable as I have a drywall finished room and need to run raceway for the cables.

-Tim
I also have 30ft svideo.com cables in a raceway. I find that they are good signal quality and very small and flexible. I have a triple coax for composite and s-video, and a separate triple coax for component. The coax are very small, so if you think they have to be fat to be good try something else.

If you have space, make your own cables from RG6.

The svideo.com cables I have can be seen at:
Component 30ft Triple coax
Composite and S-video triple coax

· Registered
61 Posts
I made my own component cables with Quad Shield RG6 (50$ fro 500 ft) and F to RCA connectors from Radio shack. They work great, and I got a 100 ft. s-video cable from parts express (site sponsor see adds at the top of the thread) for 11.95. It is gold plated and works just as well as my 25 foot "high end" phoenix gold cable.

· Registered
159 Posts
Cheers"I'm getting the 300u, and I was wondering if I could get some input on cables"

I made my cables from RG6 aswell buth component and VGA all cost less the 30$ and I must admit, cant see no difrence from 150$ cables. About the extention on power. I have all my cables running in a 1 inch channel on the ceiling, and it looks very nice. Just some double sided tape to hold the channel and off you go. I find it the best way and if I want to take if off then its easy.

· Registered
315 Posts
Do Gold connectors REALLY make a difference? I know they certainly won't if the component your connecting them to does not have gold connectors. But I was just wondering if anyone has ever done an A-B of gold and non-gold cables, and have seen a noticeable difference.

Those from SVideo.com are not gold-plated, are they Mark? (not near mine right now.)

· Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timoteo
Do Gold connectors REALLY make a difference? I know they certainly won't if the component your connecting them to does not have gold connectors. But I was just wondering if anyone has ever done an A-B of gold and non-gold cables, and have seen a noticeable difference.

Those from SVideo.com are not gold-plated, are they Mark? (not near mine right now.)
The svideo.com ones are gold plated. I think that the value of gold plating is that it does not corrode, hence will remain a good connector for a long time (many years). Some people may say that gold-gold contact is lower resistance, but unless there is corrosion, I expect that it is insignificant.

· Registered
684 Posts
My BlueJeans.com 25 foot component cable delivers a clean crisp picture to my l300u, but it is the size of a garden hose...

- Cryo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.