AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a new sub and dvd player, i need a coax cable for the audio on the dvd player and a subwoofer cable. i have a set of 9' monster a/v cables, my friend told me to use the video cable for a coax and one of the audio for the sub, is this good or should i go out and get new cables?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glass
i got a new sub and dvd player, i need a coax cable for the audio on the dvd player and a subwoofer cable. i have a set of 9' monster a/v cables, my friend told me to use the video cable for a coax and one of the audio for the sub, is this good or should i go out and get new cables?
This is a dirty little secret the industry does not want you to know, but the video cable will do fine with audio. Unless you are in a high noise environment almost any cable will do. A couple of years ago I was setting up my brother's HT. We ran out of interconnect cables and it was too late to go anywhere to purchase them, but of course he had to hear his HT right then and there. In my tool kit I had I had RCA connectors, AC zip wire, and a soldering iron. For the time being we made our own inter connect cables. My home made cables worked perfectly. The next day he replaced all the cables, except one. We could not hear, or see any difference. To this day he still has my home made cable interconnecting his sub.

I'm sure the industry can produce reems of studies that show how their cables are better, but remember they have something to sell you. On a piece of test gear I'm sure they are even right, but also remember it comes down to what a person feels and not what a piece of test gear says.

Just my .02

·
Registered
254 Posts
What cables do I need to connect the pj? Is there a best method? From what to what? I will be running the cables through the attic to the pj. What would give the best picture when watching via satellite? Help please!

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
While I am on of the first to eschew designer cables here, using zip cord for audio (speakers exempted) and video is not a good idea. Audio must be at least shielded and video needs to be 75ohm coax. If you are looking at VHS over a 3 foot piece of zip cord, then yes, you probably don't see any difference.

A 6 foot zip cord video cable will make a difference on DVD. I could tell you exactly where to look to see the difference.

But Radio Shack has all the HT cables anyone should need for way less than $10 each.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
While I am on of the first to eschew designer cables here, using zip cord for audio (speakers exempted) and video is not a good idea. Audio must be at least shielded and video needs to be 75ohm coax. If you are looking at VHS over a 3 foot piece of zip cord, then yes, you probably don't see any difference.

A 6 foot zip cord video cable will make a difference on DVD. I could tell you exactly where to look to see the difference.

But Radio Shack has all the HT cables anyone should need for way less than $10 each.
As I said above it all depends on the noise environment your HT is in. In my brother's setup you could not see a difference between the ZIP cable and Radio Shack's gold. As a test each one of us repeatedly swapped the home made cable and the R.S. gold cable back and fourth then tried to guess which was which. Netiher of us could tell the R.S. gold from the home made cheapie.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Can I use coaxial cables for analog/stereo audio? I'm running four cables for component video and digital audio (eventually for my X-Box) but after my basement is done it will be a while before I get my pj and that whole setup. In the meantime I'd like to put a TV in that room for the kids, and would like to avoid running additional cable.

It would be to connect my TiVo receiver which will be in the equipment rack location - it's also going to feed a TV in the exercise room, and I will have that initially and it will stay there after the HT is in.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well my question concerns the digital out from the DVD to the AMP. What impedance should this be? Can I just use one of the feeds from a set of audio cables?

·
Registered
128 Posts
For the coax digital cable you should use a 75 ohm cable. Usually a 75ohm "video" cable costs less than a 75 ohm "audio" cable and will perform equally well.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.