Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm in the wiring staging of my HT setup. I have a PVC pipe to the projector. Is anybody running anything besides component cables to the PJ? With component cable I'm not sure S-video cables would be of any value. Thanks for your thoughts.

Eric

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Murphy's law (in this case) would prolly state that whatever you don't think you'll use, you'll end up using. It probably wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to run a cable for each respective input, just so it's there... (unless your setup would allow you to add later)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'm using an s-video cable from my VCR and component from the DVD/HDTV STB.

Currently I use a Radio Shack AV switcher from my DVD/STB and the projector. It DOES introduce some degradation of the image but I'm not ready to fork over the $7k that extron wants for a proper matrix switcher.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Run everything you can get your hands on, just in case. Make sure you have good access in your piping run. In other words, don't run 1" PVC and expect to have an easy time pulling through your cabling or even fitting multiple cables.

Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Yeah, I have s and component. It may also depend on your sources. For example, my cable box is an SA2000HD...it outputs 1080i HD via component. It also (of course) outputs SD via s-video. It can also convert SD for component output. However, the picture shifts and is way too green. Therefore, I watch SD via s-video. So, I agree with the general adage of running everything that'll fit!

TM

·
Registered
457 Posts
My Pre-amp can only switch S-Video. So, like the others, I run VGA for HDTV, Component for DVD, S-Video for Camcorder, and Composite for VCR. (OK. So the S-video and VCR look like crap, so I hardly use them). I do all the input switching at the projector.

But unlike the others, I suggest running everything you can now, and leave the PVC empty for the stuff down the road. If you fill-up that PVC with all the stuff you did think of, there won't be room to add the stuff you didn't. You can still have everything come out in the same place by putting a "tee" right before the end of the run.

Don't forget to put that string through there, too!

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Many good points here.

PVC conduit has been on my mind too. It's nearing the time they will be starting to build my house and HT room (9.5ft. x 20ft.) flex room option, which originally was a 1 car garage on the plans.

The big question is what size PVC to use? What's practical for the walls and how many to run?.

Paul

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You should be able to run the 2" with no problem whatsoever, and that should give you all the room you should need. Depending on the route thought, the sky is the limit as long as you don't weaken floor joists too much by drilling 6" holes. I mean heck, in new construction, you could bury 24" pipe in the floor and it could double as The Bat Cave. :D

Oh, btw, for interior walls, you've got 3 1/2" to work with (outside diameter) so anything up to that woud be pretty much peachy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you run 1" conduit, expect to be able to get 6-7 standard coax cables through it if there are no turns to contend with. (I was able to get 7 coax and one 12 gauge speaker wire through a 20' run of 1" pvc but it was a real pain and required that all wires be taped into a tight bundle, one person to push from one end while another pulled from the other.) This also assumes that you collect these cables into a bundle tape them together, and push/pull the lot through at one time. If you get more that about 4 coax cables in a 1" conduit, forget about trying to get more through later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Eric:

Ditto on running everything you can into the PJ. I only use one of the three cables I installed but you never know whats around the corner. BTW, glad to see there is another videohead and Diva owner in the "Zoo"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.