AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finding my new N803's to be a little bright/harsh, which is surprising, given my upstream equipment: Anthem AVM-20 pre/pro and Parasound 250w x 2 amp (HCA2200 mkII).

I've gone from silver Analysis Plus interconnects to copper (Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Ovals) with some improvement. Speaker wire is bi-wired Analysis Plus 14 ga. in-wall (Theater 2).

Can anyone suggest other alternatives based on experience? My dealer has recommended Straighwire Rhapsody II's and I did think they helped tame the highs a great deal without much detail loss.

Other suggestions?

Thanks,

-Paul

· Registered
473 Posts
Got a frequency response in-room?

What kind of room treatments, particularly at first reflection point?

Rolling off the top end may not solve things, hence the questions. Otherwise, any high inductance cable will roll off the top a bit.

C

· Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CJD,

I don't have a freq. response in-room.

You can see the room in the link below. Pics show Nautilus 804's (tried these before buying 803's).

Room treatments include DIY panels on front wall (L & R) and two each on side walls. I've been thinking of moving the second set of panels on the side walls to the rear wall (the set not at the primary reflection point/ closest to the main speakers).

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...00&ppuser=1251

Thanks for your reply/suggestions!

-Paul

· Registered
1 Posts
I would highly recommend Empress Cables. I replaced all my cables in my system and the hash is completely removed but the highs are still there.

You can get to their site by simply doing a search in Google or Yahoo.

Good luck in your effort.

· Registered
1,535 Posts

· Registered
930 Posts
I have an AVM20 to Rotel 1095/1090 to N804s/NHTM1 and do not find any harshness. It could be a breakin thing if they are new. I use DH Labs Q10 biwires to the speakers and catcable silvercats for interconnects pre/pro to amps RCAs on the N804s and XLR on the NHTM1. Wonderful sound.

FREAK!

· Registered
15,246 Posts
This cable approach, in an attempt to tame your 803's so to speak, is a false and hopeless journey. Consider for a moment the following facts and let's see if we can make some sense of them, since at first they will seem in direct contradiction.

1) After setting up your HT, you observe after a bit, that the 803's have an edge to them.

2) You swap a set of cables, once or twice, and observe that they're starting to sound better.

3) You attribute this to something about the cables is causing you to like your speakers more.

4) None of the cables you've tried however, have sufficiently different L, C, R parameters to result in an audible FR shift though. Note that cjd's comment is spot on, but one would need a massive inductance change in order to affect an audible FR change.

Therefore, if the parameters of the cables you've tried are unable to effect an audible FR change, then one must ask the question, "Why is it that each time I change cables, the speakers sound better?" The answer quite simply is listener adaptation. Basically, you're starting to get used to the speakers. This is, in essence, what speaker break-in really is or for that matter, playing the cable swap game. Dealers and vendors know this which is why they generally start you out on lower priced models and move up the price scale. What they're doing is gambling that it'll take you a certain amount of time before you're finally used to the way the speakers sound in your room. Eventually you reach the point where your wallet is just starting to hurt and that's the point, or one below, where you settle on a cable.

Regarding your speakers, I suspect that they are designed for a fairly uniform power response. In a Reader's Digest condensed explanation, this means they've got a fairly flat FR on and off axis, maybe to 30 degrees worth. Generally this results in a perceived brightness (or similar such terms) simply because the reflections are exagerating the high end. Now you could, if you're of a mind to, buy a software package like EFT and a calibrated mic and do what cjd suggested - analyze your room. OTOH, one can try a 'seat of the pants' approach and temporarily tack up thick, heavy blankets at the first reflection points to determine the width of the wall that needs treatment. One should also bear in mind that the ceiling is another spot and if you've got a coffee table in front of things, well that's another spot.

I'm assuming you've got a RS SPL meter and have also played around with toeing the speakers in a bit. You might find the use of a laser level to be a fairly inexpensive and accurate approach for setting the toe in.

And MikeInSeattle, who has so GENEROUSLY recommended the Empress speaker cable line just happens to sell that line. How gratuitious and self-serving :( Instead of saleshacking like this, which is a sleazy business model, why don't you contact the owners of AVS and pony up some advertising money. You can write it off on your taxes as a business expense, assuming you're even declaring this to the IRS. Sheesh!

· Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly, the B&Ws have been returned.

adjusting room treatments, changing power amp, cables didn't do it.

They're great speakers, just couldn't keep the highs from bugging my wife's ears. In the end, she gets a vote too so back they went.

· Registered
15,246 Posts
Ain't nothing sad about it Paul...the search goes on and in the end, you'll be happier.

· Registered
468 Posts
Quote:
Sadly, the B&Ws have been returned.
I was surprised no one mentioned the possibility that you just didn't like how those speakers sounded in your system (including the room).

I'm not surprised that no one mentioned the fact (or opinion, depending on who you talk to) that vibration control/management techniques can often remove a lot of edge from a system. What's beautiful about vibration control is that you can experiment with it for free. Something as simple as placing a pillow beneath a component will often change the sound of the component (not always for the better). If you hear a difference, you know it's worth spending some time researching the different vibration control tweaks and choose one to implement that suits your situation.

-Tweak

· Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Something as simple as placing a pillow beneath a component will often change the sound of the component
Good suggestion, but I've already got Vibrapod "sandwiches" under each critical signal path component (sources, pre/pro, amps). [NOTE: "Sandwich" = MDF shelf on top of Vibrapods on top of custom cut glass piece.]

Quote:
I was surprised no one mentioned the possibility that you just didn't like how those speakers sounded in your system (including the room).
Yup, that's what it came down to. The speakers did some incredible things, but overall just didn't get us there.

· Registered
1,535 Posts
That is probably a good choice. While i love the nautilus line some people do find them a bit etched in the upper ranges. You might want to try PSB. Their stratus line is a bit milder,(i've been told it's due to the d'appolito setup). They are a very fine speaker. Sonus faber is very nice as well.

Happy hunting!

BTW i no longer sell ANY Home electronics. My suggestions are just an opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.