AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if there is any benifit to using a cable made specifically for 'digital audio' rather than a simple video cable. Digital audio uses 75 Ohm cable, so the characteristics of video cable should work fine. The nature of a digital signal is that it does not suffer from gradual degridation in the way an analog signal is. If a digital signal looses half its strength, but can still be read okay at the recieving end, it is no different to a signal recieved at full strength. A poor quality digital audio cable should never create muddy bass or similar. If the signal does not get through correctly, you will get horrible noise, not slight degridation.

Is there any flaw in this logic? Is it worth paying $50 for a digital audio cable?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
You don't have to pay that much for a good digital cable. Acoustic Research is what I use and I can't tell any difference between that and Monster Cables. You can get them for around $20 at Best Buys. Optical digital or coaxial digital.

·
Registered
545 Posts
For a while I was getting away with using a twisted pair from a cat5 cable for a 25' run and it was working just fine. I've since moved to a 75 Ohm composite video cable but, of course, there is absolutely no difference in audio quality. As you said, as long as the signal can be read there will be no difference in sound.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I have heard that coaxial digital is better than optical digital and then in another forum the concensus of opinion was that optical was better with less jitter and not prone to electromagnetic interference. I think there both just as good as the other especially if you only have a 6 foot run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.