AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to ask you all how you have your projectors hooked up...ie) VGA, RGB, component, s-video?

I would also like to know how long your cable has to run to the receiver or HTPC, and which cable is the best for video?

For RPTV it is component (Y,Pb,Pr) but I hear that VGA is the way to go for projectors, but that sounds like a bulkier, more expensive cable.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Cables can be expensive but does not have to be. I bought mine from www.pccables.com for a 15 foot male VGA to VGA for $13. There is no ghosting (double-imaging) or any artifacts noted. You can get cables as long as over 100 foot but definitely stay close to PJ if possible to minimize video signal degradation. If you had to choose, I'd run a longer digital SPDIF cable via RG-6 and RCA adaptors to your stereo than running a long VGA cable. Digital audio signals degradation is minimal if you use RG6 (coaxial, TV cable type) cabling 50-100 foot should do fine. There are more expensive cables out there but YMMV.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. Have you tried VGA cables vs component cables? Or does your projector only accept VGA?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I chose VGA because this cabling is cheaper and easier to hook on and off (15 pin male VGA on both ends of cable--one into video card, the other into PJ). If I buy breakout cable it'll cost $50-$100 for similar length depending on name brand and "quality". This would have VGA on PJ end and 3 RCA or 5 BNC (BNC can be converted to RCA with BNC-->RCA adapters from Ratshack, using only 3 (R/G/B) of the 5 BNC outputs) into component out of progressive or interlaced STB DVD players or scalers/ deinterlacers. As you can see a simple VGA cable has less connections, less signal loss (especially if you use BNC-->RCA adapters), less chance of interference, and is cheaper too. Svideo can be fine up to 50 foot if you get a nice cable like mine (Silver series Belkin 50 foot Svideo cable for $27 from www.cdw.com shipped).

I did not try component since VGA works great for above reasons and for HTPC component out is not an cheap option.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I suggest installing your projector with ALL OF THE ABOVE cables, especially if it's ceiling mounted, because running cables later to such a location is a pain in the butt. Having all the inputs available is very convenient. I have S-video and composite video switched by my A/V receiver, and most of my usage is from a HTPC via the VGA input, and I switch sources from DVD player to TV via DScaler and PC games, just by running different application programs - however, game consoles and S-VHS can be used without the HTPC being turned on.

Gary

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
VGA, 35', from Medical Video Systems.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.