·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Silver Serpents yesterday, here's a few comparison photos,
cables vs. cables. What causes the screendoor effect? maybe the

camera's exposure was set too slow? it's only noticeable in the photos,

overall the PQ is much improved.

Also switched the s-video to composite, why does composite look better?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I cant figure out these pictures.Looks like the color on those cylinders is totally different from one cable use to other.could you post some close up of faces or landscapes? Thanks Matt

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Very interesting indeed.

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
First, it seems very, very odd that the change of cables would bring about such a drastic color shift. So you see this color shift in the image when you

switch the cables?

If not, did you change the exposure or settings of the camera between shots? Or did you take the photos in a dark room, or in daytime? If daytime, the shifting of light upon the plasma may have caused the pictures to register different light temperatures.

Second: The screen door effect is causes by shooting the pictures too close to the plasma. Back the camera off more, say to around 106 to 108 inches, then try again.

Thanks for doing this comparison.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by R Harkness
First, it seems very, very odd that the change of cables would bring about such a drastic color shift. So you see this color shift in the image when you

switch the cables?

If not, did you change the exposure or settings of the camera between shots? Or did you take the photos in a dark room, or in daytime? If daytime, the shifting of light upon the plasma may have caused the pictures to register different light temperatures.

Second: The screen door effect is causes by shooting the pictures too close to the plasma. Back the camera off more, say to around 106 to 108 inches, then try again.

Thanks for doing this comparison.
Yes, color change was after swithing cables.

Camera settings, f1.8 1/25s about 4ft from screen, exactly the same for

both photos.

Taken at 5:15 in the afternoon with drapes/shutters closed, the room was

dimly lit.

I'll try and do some more comparison shots this weekend.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the photo's. It is truly amazing to see such a dramatic change in color could be caused by simply changing cables. I'm sure this will reopen the "cable wars" discussion.
Quote:
This has been discussed a couple of times. The theory goes -- that unless you paid a lot for your outboard A/V equiment -- the comb filter in the plasma display is probably superior to that in your outboard equipment, i.e., the S-Video output from your outboard equipment may actually introduce relative signal degradation.

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
kweezr,

Interesting. Although, if any daytime light was leaking onto the plasma at all, I'd suspect that could effect the pictures. Try it in a totally dark room at night.

And yes, 4 ft from the screen is definitely too close, and reason for that screen door effect. You should do fine at the distance I suggested. I assume you have basic photo software. If so, when you are shooting your pictures use the best quality picture format, so the file will be quite large. I'm betting that if you view your pictures full size in your photo software, simply cropping off the surrounding dark image around the plasma image will result in a picture size that fit's a typical browser window quite well.

(BTW, if you place the camera at 106 - 108 inches away, try zooming in just a bit - say a step or two - that should get you an image the right size).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
360 Posts
kweezr,

Those are some amazing cables. In the before-cables picture your TV looks like a little picutre frame. In the after-cables picture it looks like a pretty nice plasma. Something tells me you got your money's worth out of the cables.:p

·
23,031 Posts
I also find it difficult to believe that the cables made that much difference.

I bet the BNC adaptors caused the problems with the AR cables.

larry

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here's the setup

time-4:00am

lighting-only what's available from the plasma

camera distance-120inches(any closer got the screendoor effect)

camera type-Olympus C5050z

camera settings-f2.0, 1/15s, ISO64, no zoom, tripod, no flash

Took 20 photos total, ten of each cable with slight changes in F-stop and

exposure setting, the photo I selcted looked best to my eyes. All the

photos taken of the Acoustic Research cable had these vertical lines, but

weren't noticeable to the naked eye. I definitly saw the difference between

the two cables (see photo)

Tomorrow morning I'll try some photos of a non-animated movie.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First off this is a very good idea to compare the effects of cables.

Secondly, are people really shocked that cables make a difference?

When I get my Panny set up I would like to do a massive test like this with all sorts of different cables including power cables to see if they make a difference.

Jon

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jonlax
First off this is a very good idea to compare the effects of cables.

Secondly, are people really shocked that cables make a difference?

When I get my Panny set up I would like to do a massive test like this with all sorts of different cables including power cables to see if they make a difference.

Jon
If the Serpents weren't so much $$$ I wouldn't be so critical, but I have

26 more days to do more comparisons and if I am not %100 satisfied I can

return them. The way it looks right now I will probably keep them.

·
23,031 Posts
I thinks cables can make a difference also, but I must admit I've never seen

such a dramatic difference. Kweezr, since you're the guinea pig :)

why don't you somehow get a pair of less expensive rca-bnc

cables and compare them to the SS cables. IIRC the key to good

component cables is maintaining 75ohms. I still think the adaptors

may be a big part of the difference.

Edit: How long are the cables? Each AR and SS same length?

larry

·
Registered
225 Posts
Kweezr,

Are the two cables you're comparing of the same type?

Except for your question here, I would have assumed that they would both be component cables.
Quote:
Originally posted by kweezr
If you're comparing component to s-video to composite, then that's more of a test of the signal format rather than the cable. But assuming that you are testing like-types of cables that are similar length and connected the same, then it might be interesting to go to ratshack or someplace and pick up a cheap set of cables to get a third data point to increase your sample.

Also, it's usually good to have a reference point in these tests. By that I mean having one of the devices under test be a known quantity - something that you are familiar with and generally know what to expect out of it. It's the same idea as having reference DVD's / CD's when comparing equipment.

I think cables can make a difference, but as someone else said, the difference in some of those pictures is pretty dramatic. It's also hard to judge by looking at photographs rather than seeing the comparison in person. Obviously the source can sometimes make a difference. There's also the chance that a person gets a poorly soldered cable. There's also the chance for interference issues if the cables are not routed well; and possibly power/grounding issues depending on your home wiring and other equipment/appliances. Basically, other people might see different results with those same cables used in their setup. Not to say that these kind of comparisons are not welcome. It's very useful and interesting.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PooperScooper

Edit: How long are the cables? Each AR and SS same length?

larry
AR is 3ft longer than the SS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.