AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What cables should I run from my audio components to tv. Also when running speaker wire inside walls is there a certain route I should avoid. I was told HDMI cables are unreliable and should run audio video cables instead. My distance is 8ft.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedx /forum/post/15583860

What cables should I run from my audio components to tv. Also when running speaker wire inside walls is there a certain route I should avoid. I was told HDMI cables are unreliable and should run audio video cables instead. My distance is 8ft.

You will be fine with an HDMI cable. I have a 12' one running in my main HT. It connects my Denon 4308ci to my 52" Sony XBR Bravia. I bought it off of Amazon for around $20. Here is a bunch of them to look at. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...+cable&x=0&y=0

And don't worry about the low prices, as I have $100 HDMI cables and $2 HDMI cables. I cannot tell the difference between any of them, as the HDMI signal is just data, 0 and 1's.

If you need to do really long runs, use Cat5e cable and baluns from these guys, http://www.avovercat5.com/product.htm

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:

In regrads to speaker cable, this is what I used for my whole house system. It is sheilded and has a very heavy and slippery jacket for easy pulling through walls and ceilings. http://www.htd.com/speaker-cables-ac...-Speaker-Cable

If you are just running in one room, I would just stick with some good old 12 or 14ga clear jacketed speaker cable off of the bulk rack at Home Depot or Lowes. They sell it by the foot and will work just fine. No need to spend tons of money for what is essentially copper wire.

You can also get the wall plates with the speaker connections there. And I would use the banana plugs for a clean look.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:

Depends what audio components and TV you have

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:

HDMI will be fine. Avoid routes close to line voltage wire.

Frank

·
Registered
290 Posts

Quote:

not true at all if you're only running 8 ft of cable.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you're running cables in walls, generally they need to be approved for in-wall use. They're usually labeled as such by the vendor ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts