AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about how Comcast and TWC are going to be rolling out HD DVRs for its subscribers, but I haven't heard anything about Cablevision. Does anyone know if Cablevision has any plans for an HD DVR? I was hoping they would make an announcement in regard to going with the SA8000HD unit, as they use SA boxes, but I haven't heard anything.

So, will I ever see HD DVR from Cablevision in my near future? Or is Cablevision too caught up in Voom now to consider us cable subscribers (who incidentally are paying their bills)?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Cablevision has no plans to offer a DVR--because they have made in investment in the ON DEMAND service--which is run from THEIR server.

Why would you use their service when you could do it yourself?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I agree with scott. Thier on demand service must be a nice revenue maker for them. IT proably also costs them less to have the one big server than haveing to subsidise all those DVR boxes. UNlike DTV or E* cablevision rents thier boxes for small fees.

of course all this is IMHO.

dave

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought at first, but if you've ever used their on demand, it is really bad from both a PQ and useability stand point. Not to mention you have to pay each time you watch something. Yes, it's probably a decent revenue generator for them (charging $6+ each time you watch a movie), but it still doesn't address the real PVR issue - that is, pausing live tv, recording one show and watching another. VOD, in my opinion, is nothing like a DVR -- in fact, it's missing the most important part of that acronym: the R! You can't record VOD (sure, you can in SD, but this is the HD forum, so I don't care about hooking up my 1990 VCR to record VOD material)!

So if they really aren't planning on letting customers rent/own the SA8000HD or similar DVR, they will certainly lose me to Satellite as soon as my situation warrants such a switch (and the DirecTV HDTiVos are out).

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
Cablevision uses the same backend that TimeWarnerCable does for its on demand service: one provided by SeaChange (SEAC on nasdaq). Yet TWC obviously offers HD and SD PVRs. So I don't see why one precludes the other here.

TM

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point - since I don't have TWC, I didn't know they had an on demand service, but yes, I've read some posts that TWC is trying out the SA8000HD in some markets.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should note, so there's no confusion regarding my comment about paying each time you watch a movie, that's only if you order an on-demand pay per view movie. For $5 a month (in addition to your normal subscription fees) you can pause/rw/ff any show that is currently being broadcast - like a TiVo/Replay - of channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. - this is pretty much only available on premium channels, so it's really just a way for them to get you to pay even more for HBO, Showtime, etc.

On demand is available on maybe 5% of the channels. plus $5 more per month, per channel

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottb4u
Cablevision has no plans to offer a DVR--because they have made in investment in the ON DEMAND service--which is run from THEIR server.

Why would you use their service when you could do it yourself?

Cablevision does plan to lauch PVRs later this year. From what I was told by CS they will have HD and SD PVRs. They dont go into any detail, but they do say on there website that they are looking to offer PVRs this year.

Cablevision Q & A

·
Registered
21 Posts
Supposedly CV is well into the testing phase with the SA8000. The SA box uses some different kind of system than what CV is running so they needed to convert it. But from what i hear, CV should be rolling the DVRs out in early April.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, when I emailed iO Digital they replied they were going to be offering PVRs this year. They made no mention of the SA8000HD and "this year" can be loosely interpreted as meaning 1Q 2005...

Of course, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 2Q 2004 also means "this year" :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.