Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the article.

http://www.nypost.com/business/73117.htm

Here are some good points from the article:

Quote:
IPO DOUBLE-VISION By TIM ARANGO

The two companies have agreed in principle to the deal, and the public offering is expected to happen by July, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The deal would be anything but a merger of equals, and the Dolans would likely give up significant control in the combined venture.

Cablevision would add 3 million subscribers to Time Warner's nearly 11 million homes across the nation, from New York to Los Angeles. Together, they would have about 4.2 million subscribers in the New York area.

If the deal gets completed, it would mark the end of Cablevision as we know it.

The idea of merging the company's cable systems has persisted for years. Former AOL Time Warner CEO Gerald Levin was vocal about his desire to do so, and last fall Chuck Dolan said publicly that he liked the idea.

Many had anticipated that after a Time Warner Cable IPO, current AOL Time Warner chief Dick Parsons would use the new stock as currency to buy Cablevision's systems.

But with the IPO market in shambles, combining the two systems before the IPO is seen as a way to make the deal more attractive to investors, sources say

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should this happen, here in NYC one possible lineup of HD channels:

HBO

SHO

NBC

ABC

PBS

CBS

MSG

FSN

On the Horizon:

WB (Thanks John for Reminding me)

ESPN

BRAVO

CINEMAX

HDNET

HALLMARK

and More...

Intriguing and it will be very competitive to DBS HD line up.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Thanks for the post. Recall posting a similar rumor from a Barrons article here some time back. This seems much firmer.

Don't forget WB (chan.11) from the line up, and eventually other local channels that stand a better chance of getting on cable quickly, IMO, with a combined TWC/Cablevision system.

I've sent several e-mails to TWC's vp programming, Bob Watson, requesting those newer/upcoming channels. I also suggested I'd be happy to pay a $10 premium-HDTV fee for these extra HD channels, as one Pa. cable company is doing as outlined in a recent post here. But most recently he sent me a reply (not quite what I had in mind) pointing out today's (perhaps) delivery of USA's Masters coverage on TWC's channel 708, which still hadn't appeared on my setup as of last night. [Edit add: 708 was on the guide about noon today.] Shouldn't make much difference, though, since I presume WCBS-DT on 702 (HD) will carry all four days from Augusta. -- John

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John,

I'll be very excited if this happens. Cablevision will be out of the picture. Cablevision has been so slow in getting a competitive HD channel lineup. I'll be the first one to jump on such a package of HD channels.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This would be excellent. I am possibly moving into Cablevision territory this summer (from a Comcast HD area) and I have to tell you, their cable service is absolutely the worst! They don't even offer digital cable, let alone HD in this particular area. Now just the next town over, they have Blue Ridge cable and they offer the full digital/HD/hi speed internet package...go figure. Then again, I just read a rumor that Dish is thinking they will be able to provide national HD feeds of ABC,CBS and NBC by the end of the year...in which case I'll be getting a dish.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yes but don't forget that cablevision's cable modem service kicks Time Warner's butt. Time Warner's upload speed caps are 1/3rd of Cablevisions, and their download rates are roughly half. Cablevision is one of the few cable isp's in the country to offer such wonderful cable modem service. That would all go down the tube if they merged.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Funny thing is, the main reason I keep CV is Optimum Online. Also, in defense of the CV thieves, they have had HD broadcast of MSG and FxSNY for several years. I don't believe TW yet offers those, nor do either of the satellite guys. Sports is where HD shines, imho.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just so you know upfront this is my opinion and is not in any way disproving your opionion. Actually I'm very happy you have that kind of service because I know many people who wish they had service such as yours because they don't have a company that can provide it. I'm glad to see that some companies believe in good cheap quality services. It seems like these companies are disappearting every day. Some computer companies are now going to systems where your first call is free and then after than it's pay versus haveing 30 days of unlimited technical support.

That's funny because I guess Time Warner Cable varies by area. My area is currently Bright House Netowrks but the service has been very good even when it was Time Warner Cable. I have Earthlink High Speed Cable service at 41.95/month and the advertised speeds are 2Mbps download and 384Kbps Upload. Now my service has run on average at speeds of around 2.5Mbps download and around 600Kbps upload so for 41.95/month I don't even think that cablevision's internet can beat this. It may match it but not beat it. For the speed, reliability and price its very hard to beat it and most companies cannot even match it. I have heard great things about cablevisions internet service but I wouldn't say it kicks TWC services butt. At least you can't say that about my connection. I don't know about others and since you don't know yourself it's not a good idea to trash one service thats great for some. I have a relative in another state that has cablevision and her digital cable works great but her high speed internet is hardly ever working and when it is its at speeds of just above 1Mbps download and less than 100Kbps upload. For you it can't be beat but don't say that for everyone because as most people have said some services and great in one area and not so great in others.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by festivalman
yes but don't forget that cablevision's cable modem service kicks Time Warner's butt. Time Warner's upload speed caps are 1/3rd of Cablevisions, and their download rates are roughly half. Cablevision is one of the few cable isp's in the country to offer such wonderful cable modem service. That would all go down the tube if they merged.
Oh god, please don't merge... I don't need TWC's crappy tech support combined with Cablevision's anal service policies.

TWC's upload caps are 1/3 of Cablevision's, until you actually USE the upload. I sent a 1 gig file to a friend of mine (Some video I was editing), which triggered CV's upload recapping. My upload is now 150 kbits/sec.

CV also blocks a number of ports, which means that if I want to run a webmail setup for personal use, I have to constantly send the web browser to port 81.

I had none of these problems with TWC in upstate NY. I would much rather be on their network, despite the inferior tech support. (I could fix most things myself.)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
RCN is trying to make some inroads in the NYC area, they have a combo

package with phone/broadband /digital cable at a reasonable price.I don't know how good there service is but I thought there packages looked

smart, we need more competition in NYC especially Manhattan!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
2Mbps download and 384Kbps Upload. Now my service has run on average at speeds of around 2.5Mbps download and around 600Kbps upload so for 41.95/month I don't even think that cablevision's internet can beat this. It may match it but not beat it. For the speed, reliability and price its very hard to beat it and most companies cannot even match it. I have heard great things about cablevisions internet service but I wouldn't say it kicks TWC services butt. At least you can't say that about my connection.
you've obviously had NO experience with Optimum Online (cablevision's internet access)..........go to dslreports.com and read up about it. I'd say 9 mbits down and 950kbps up during PRIME TIME definitely BEATS your advertised speed to a pulp, and oh yes, it kills your actual speeds as well. If you don't believe me click here to see for yourself

Anyway, yeah, I hope all channels are broadcast in HD on every service starting next week.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
On topic comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
DNINE: RCN's problem is lack of capital, not lack of a great offering.

As for the merger, this one or something like it is inevitable. Comcast is mammoth and the trend is very much toward mammoth.

While I am basically with the gov't on shooting down Dish-DirecTV back a few months, in a few years, it's going to seem odd in the way shooting down Sprint-MCI/Worldcom made sense at the moment it happened, and just a few years later seemed pointless.

It is very likely that cable will consolidate around 3 mega-operators in the next few years. Comcast has already made its move with AT&T (not that they won't do future acquisitions). Cablevision probably actually *wants* out. Charter *needs* out. Cox is well run but increasingly small.

I don't know if Cablevision and Time Warner happens now as the article suggests, but something like it happens soon.

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.