AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my old analog, basic cable to Cablevision's IO Digital service. I forgot to ask the sales lady which HD STB I would be getting - is there a choice? Which one is it and does it have DVI out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
..i do not know, but you better have a HDTV capable set otherwise they won't give you a hdtv topbox :( that's what the sales girl told me when i upgraded my service a while ago.. they need to verify you have an hdtv capable set, otherwise.. no hdtv topbox

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tell us how it goes with the 4200 DVI box, and do the DVI boxes include the component out also, since some on here are saying they prefer the component over DVI while overs say DVI is better. I hate to get a DVI box then not be able to switch back to component if I don't like it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If I remember correctly, there are un-configured DVI and Firewire ports on the back of the HD4200. When I last checked the Yahoo cablevision forum CV was working on inabling the DVI. This would lead me to believe that if you get the HD4200 with working DVI it will have the component outs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Firewire too? I don't imagine them enabling that anytime soon? If it was enabled, would you be able to record to D-VHS or computer hard drive (on a computer with a firewire card, of course)?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GooglyBear
..i do not know, but you better have a HDTV capable set otherwise they won't give you a hdtv topbox :( that's what the sales girl told me when i upgraded my service a while ago.. they need to verify you have an hdtv capable set, otherwise.. no hdtv topbox
I had Cablevision installed in November before I moved in. I had one old 20" TV hooked up just to make sure the cable was working. They left 2 HD boxes because I told them I had 2 HDTVs. Have they changed their policy?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by repoman
If I remember correctly, there are un-configured DVI and Firewire ports on the back of the HD4200. When I last checked the Yahoo cablevision forum CV was working on inabling the DVI. This would lead me to believe that if you get the HD4200 with working DVI it will have the component outs.
I too have the SA4200HD with DVI, but no Firewire. Was told from rep. from SA that they are working with CV in getting DVI working late Feb. or early March.

'pilot

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shadowbox
I had Cablevision installed in November before I moved in. I had one old 20" TV hooked up just to make sure the cable was working. They left 2 HD boxes because I told them I had 2 HDTVs. Have they changed their policy?
yup..

either that or you really had some dumb technicians come and basically give you $800+ for free..

she said the boxes are worth $400+ each which is also the reason you have to return the cable boxes themselves if you cancel your digital cable service, heh

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If firewire is activated on this, can I record to D-VHS or a computer with a firewire capture card? I understand that firewire recording isn't as simple as "plug and play" between two firewire devices. But if Cablevision does enable the firewire port, what exactly can we do with it? What hardware would I need to record HD content?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by akelley
So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my old analog, basic cable to Cablevision's IO Digital service.
Did you specifically ask to upgrade to HD or just to iO? They are not the same thing. If you specifically asked to upgrade to HD, they will bring you a Scientific Atlanta 4200HD receiver. If you didn't specifically ask for HD, they will bring you a SA 4200 (no HD).

If you specifically asked for HD, but didn't specifically ask for DVI. They will likely bring you a non-DVI box (they are supposedly low on DVI boxes). The non-DVI box has component, S-Video and Composite video connections. The DVI box adds DVI, but doesn't eliminate any of the other outputs.

Currently, it appears that, other than for Woodbury Cablevision customers, the DVI connection is not yet enabled. They are probably testing DVI in the area where their headquarters are located, so it is currently turned on for Woodbury customers. However, even where it is turned on, there are no on-screen displays active using DVI.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I switched today from Directv to Cablevision, because I was told by the sales rep that Cablevision supports DVI (and I wanted more HD channels, better PQ, lower prices, etc). Sure enough, they dont yet support DVI. I have the SA4200 with DVI, but the DVI port doesn't work.

For now, I am using component cables. I know its an apples to oranges comparison, but Directv PQ through DVI blows away Cablevision through component, particularly on the analog Cable channels but all the way through the HD channels. I'm thoroughly disappointed.

Tech service conveyed the same message given by others on this board, that DVI will work sometime in the near future ('Its just weeks away').

Regards, Allan

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My HD Cable box was installed today. Got the 4200HD with DVI. Though, the cable guy said that he didn't know if it worked or not and that he's been using component all installs. He said go ahead and try it if I wanted, but he didn't have any DVI cables, so he just set it up with component. There's no firewire port, but there is USB, which I don't know what good that would do, or what it would be used for (keyboard maybe? - theres a "mail" light indicator on the front so perhaps these boxes were designed to act as thin clients ala webTV). Also on the back there's a port that is listed as "Bypass", but there's a piece of metal over it (though easily removed). Anyone know what this is for?

Over all some of the HD channels look really good (HBO, PBS, CBS) and the others look a tad better than DVD quality. The other digital channels look good, and the analog look...well, you know what that looks like :)

The only thing that really bugs me is that the box doesn't seem to have many options for stretching out letterbox or 4:3 material when set to 1080i - have to set it to 480i and then you can use stretch (only option). I don't know, maybe this is the way it's supposed to work. But my LST-3100A (OTA) works nicely with expanding/stretching/filling non-full screen material.

I'll try the DVI tomorrow and see if it works. On a side note, the cable guy said that the digital audio out wouldn't work -- I would have to use the standard RCA -- but the digital audio out works fine. So, him saying that the DVI shouldn't work...we'll see!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Well, the technician said they are having alot of compatibilty problems w/ DVI out and none have worked so far.

Said its a software problem, and it'll be a month or 2(?) till its worked out.

He supposedly had me put on a list to be contacted when that bug is solved. So I will just patiently wait.

akelley, let us know if you can get it up an running.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No DVI out on my 4200HD. I don't know if there's a setting that switches the output from component to DVI, but I couldn't find it in the normal setup screens. Anyone know how to access the tech/system screens? Perhaps it needs to be switched there? When the cable guy set it up, he pressed some buttons on the front to get to the diagnostics screen, but he did it too fast for me to see how he did it...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by akelley
No DVI out on my 4200HD. I don't know if there's a setting that switches the output from component to DVI, but I couldn't find it in the normal setup screens. Anyone know how to access the tech/system screens? Perhaps it needs to be switched there? When the cable guy set it up, he pressed some buttons on the front to get to the diagnostics screen, but he did it too fast for me to see how he did it...
OK from the Yahoo Group forum for Cablevision_Digital.

How do I view the diagnostics pages on the SA4200?

Method 1: On the box itself, hold down the “+†key in the center of the directional arrows until the LED next to the message icon on the box starts to flash. Then press INFO. You can scroll through the pages with VOL+ and VOL-.

Method 2: On the remote, make sure the switch is set to VOD. Hold down the PAUSE key until the LED next to the message icon on the box starts to flash. Then press PAGE+. You can scroll through the pages with PAGE+ and PAGE-.

Hope this helps

'pilot

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Sony iO boxes will also do HD via the firewire outputs. But only the HD channels are available via firewire. You have to switch to s-video on your set to watch SD programming.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.