AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Cablevision & of course they had no idea what HDTV even was. Just for the heck of it, I did a channel scan in ANT & CABLE mode on my DTC100 and found, to my utter surprise, HBO-HD on 45.1 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ! I'm thrilled, especially since I can't put up a dish where I live.

The HD picture is stunning, but the DD audio is another matter. I only get DD2.0 for everything. Even last Saturday's broadcast of Bruce Springsteen concert was 2.0. Anyone else getting 5.1 on maybe a different channel? Cablevision only doing 2.0 everywhere?

------------------

Surf on to ... THE BEST FILMS & HOME THEATER

·
Registered
164 Posts
Brajesh

I have TimeWarner Cable, I also found in my first set up with a direct cable feed in I had 2 Digital stations, CBS & HBO. For some reason the CBS feed was very unstable but strength on both were 100%, and my OTA CBS feed was fantastic. HBO was equal in quality in comparing the two feeds one from cable and one from DirecTV. The only time I get a 5.1 DD signal is on ABC's NYPD Blue which comes in OTA.

------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
The only time I get a 5.1 DD signal is on ABC's NYPD Blue which comes in OTA.
True. I also get 5.1 with some PBS programs. Guess I can't complain; getting HBO-HD (when I'd all but given up) is already a treat.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was getting it through the Super Bowl and then nothing... I guess I will try again when I get home. Brajesh, I hear that one needs to have a certain level of programming package to get the signal, like Optimum. Is this what you have?

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Brajesh, I hear that one needs to have a certain level of programming package to get the signal, like Optimum. Is this what you have?
Nope, just regular/Family cable. Guys, don't tell Cablevision anything about HD cuz they might pull it off. I posted to ask a question & let NJ-based avs members know.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I wouldn't dime on you. I have learned that calling Cablevision is an exercise in futility. If it isn't working for me now, they will probably turn it on by mistake later. Enjoy it...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Brajesh,

What part of Jersey are you in? How recently did you start getting HBO-HD?

Cablevision in my area hasn't passed any digitial signals through since the Super Bowl.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff, I'm in Hamilton (which is between Princeton & Trenton). I only tried a channel scan this past weekend & found HBO-HD on 45.1 in ANT mode & 101.1 in CABLE mode.

Dunno how long I'll keep getting it, but I'll enjoy while it lasts.

[This message has been edited by Brajesh (edited 04-10-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.