AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with someone from Cablevision in their "digital" department. I questioned them about the upcoming Sony cable box and the potential for obsoleting all current HDTVs because of the firewire output. This individual insisted that the new box would have absolutely NO impact on current HDTVs. She indicated the box would provide "digital" quality (she emphasized "digital" and not high definition) on the premium channels. The box would essentially mirror the offerings on DTV (many HBOs, Showtimes etc.) and provide numerous other features, but NOT high definition. She said high definition would continue to be provided in the current manner, and a conventional high definition tuner would still be necessary.

She also mentioned the box has component outputs in addition to firewire. Supposedly the firewire output's only relevance is to support computer applications. The component connections would also be good news, since it's conceivable that high definition could be output through those connections. She emphasized the fact that Cablevision is "not out to obsolete existing HDTVs". She also mentioned that would be foolish considering their ownership of The Wiz.

I guess what I'm still finding difficult to believe, is that this box has nothing to do with high definition. Let's hope this information is accurate!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I currently have a box which provides access to their optimum features which I was under the impression for the past three years is of digital quality. Does this mean the new box would increase the quality, or just be another type of box capable of sending the same digital quality pictures they are currently sending to customers? Did they happen to say if they would increase the HD service area? I'm in Conn. and as far as I know I am unable to receive the pass-through high definition signals which customers in L.I. can currently receive. I've asked Cablevision numerous times why they exclude CT customers and I get NO response, and I mean NO response. They act as if they are unaware of what high definition is, let alone acknowledge that LI customers are getting this signal. Only Wiz stores in CT are getting the signal. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with my equipment...not sure. Who do you recommend I contact at Cablevision for some info?

[This message has been edited by CJArciola, III (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
All their boxes up until now are strictly analog affairs. There might be some digital parts in yours, but what they mean is that the signal will be sent compressed, probably as MPEG2 like DirecTV and a cable box from them will be required. The sony is supposed to be quite impressive.

As for HDTV, I had a tech over about a year ago playing with it. He had a scanner and didn't see anything resembling an HDTV station except very high up in band and very weak. The problem is we in CT are on a different system and they probably just aren't testing it in both areas. I think they would need another HDTV receiving station to get the signal OTA and from their feed provider. This would be rather expensive for something they don't publicize and don't get any money for.

I'm hoping the digital cable box will stimulate interest in it. And the fact that they sell HDTVs in multiple Wiz stores and don't support satellite means at SOME point they have to provide it.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Supposedly the box will provide a true digital signal as opposed to the current analog one. The quality is supposed to be higher with less compression than DTV or Dish.

The unfortunate thing about trying to get info on HD through customer service, is that most reps are totally unaware that HD is going out through Cablevision lines.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can verify, unfortunately, that this box has nothing to do with HDTV. I saw the demos at NAB this year and they were SD. I do not remember too clearly, but I do not remember component outputs. It did have a Firewire connector though... this I am sure of because I kept calling it Firewire and the rep kept "correcting" me and calling it iLink. I may have some further info at home in my NAB pile o' crap... I'll give a check.

Dave

·
Registered
261 Posts

I see this as good news/bad news. Good news in that those with HD sets that don't have Firewire, i.e. basically everybody, can breathe a little easier for awhile.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross:

She emphasized the fact that Cablevision is "not out to obsolete existing HDTVs". She also mentioned that would be foolish considering their ownership of The Wiz.

B]

It would indeed be foolish, and it never made sense to me that Cablevision would take a step so inimical to The Wiz's interests.

But bad news in that, until the HD adult channel comes along http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif , I see cable HD as the vehicle that could really boost consumer awareness and acceptance. I also suspect that the Connecticut customers will see these digital boxes last. Still I think that Namlemez is right and that in the long run Cablevision will provide HD. All in all, though, a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davebach:
It did have a Firewire connector though... this I am sure of because I kept calling it Firewire and the rep kept "correcting" me and calling it iLink.
Their trademark attorney & marketing folks did a good job preparing that rep. ;-)

You should have met the rep halfway and called it "IEEE 1394" (or whatever the number is).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.