AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just heard from my cable provider that "The HD signals will be put on the system in the cable, or QAM format, likely sometime later this year."

I'm on Cablevision LI and currently get three HD channels over-the-air, or VSB format, MSG, FSNY, and HBO.

Are the tuners (DTC 100) in these TVs capable of receiving and decoding this cable, or QAM format?

·
Registered
539 Posts
sranger3 said:

Quote:
I've just heard from my cable provider that "The HD signals will be put on the system in the cable, or QAM format, likely sometime later this year."
Cablevision flat out does not talk about this stuff. Can you reveal your source?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course its not. Why should it be.

So I will have to upgrade to iO, 9.95 per month and get there box 5.00 per month and pay a premium for HD channels at ?.??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the source: Yahoo Groups cablevision_digital · Cablevision iO
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cablev...l/message/2538

Date: Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:19 pm

Subject: RE: [cablevision_digital] HDTV & IO tv - Newbie questions

There is no HDTV on in the Hauppauge area right now.

The iO box will pass through, on 1394, the HD signals when they are put on the cable system in a QAM format--right now, where there are any, they're in the over-the-air, or VSB format, which the box does not tune. The HD signals will be put on the system in the cable, or QAM format, likely sometime later this year.

We're looking at a few options to cover the uncertainty of standards on connectors, one of which is to use component outputs, but nothing is in concrete right now.

The coaxial, RF, channel 3 output of the Sony box is not in stereo but, yes in fact, the baseband (rca) outputs are.

Wilt

·
Registered
228 Posts
yeah, right now it's MSG, fox sports, and HBO in hdtv... supposedly for nassau county only. hbo is channel 64-1 if you select standard antenna type signal. i'll be terribly vexed if they only have digital outputs on their hd extender/cable box addon when that becomes available via IO... you don't need any kind of cable box to get the existing 3 channels, just plug it into the dtc-100.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks for the source. When I read the original post, I immediately checked the wires for some announcement from CVC. Obviously, this is not an official statement from the provider.

I hold a flicker of hope that Cablevision will offer an enticing basket of HD... or even get bought out by TW who does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those interested in Cablevision iO digital cable should give them a call. They have lowered or eliminated the premium for going digital. If you have a package that costs more than basic services you should get digital for about the same price as analog. A friend called and was told that if he switched from analog to digital he would save $1.50 per month. Insignificant but it is cheaper than analog.:)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Jim... What we are talking about is 3 channels that are not for sale.

There are special 1080i channels embedded on the fiber optic system for the purpose of displaying at Wiz (cablevision) stores. We hope that one day they will be offered to the public but the topic of this thread suggests that when that day does arrive, the format will be QAM, meaning a unique cablevision stb will be needed to view. The current format is 8vsb which most of us use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cablevision's iO service will debut in my area on July 15. It's been my experience in three telephone calls and one visit to the local office today that the customer service representatives don't have a clue what digital is or what's being offered. The two reps at the desk couldn't show me programming packages, didn't know HDTV from digital, and didn't know anything about the STB except that it's a Sony. It's really disappointing and doesn't allow me to plan because I'd love to FINALLY get HDTV on my HDTV!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
For the most part, as a general rule of thumb, the closer that you live to a Wiz store, the higher the likelyhood that HD will be available if you get iO.

The fact that the transmission will eventually be in QAM is not the biggest problem. As I see it, the biggest problem is that the Sony receivers that will decode QAM don't have component outputs. Therefore, there are very few HDTV's that will be able to be connected to this box and be able to receive the HD signal.

The geniuses at Cablevision actually implemented QAM a few months back only to discover that none (or at least very few) of the HDTV's being sold at the Wiz would work with the new system (which is the reason that they transmit HD in the first place).

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
The Samsung STB SIR-T165 with firewire will have QAM tuner. The likelihood of still receiving HBO after the switch to QAM even with Samsung box is very small. I am sure they will encrypt HBO and probably MSG and FSNY so you will have to use their box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.