AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Multichannel News, Cablevision is denying a rumor that it was considering buying its STBs from someone other than Sony.

http://www.tvinsite.com/multichannel...y=breakingNews

Here's a quote from the article that I don't understand:

"On top of that, Cablevision will use a unique digital system comprised of DiviCom Inc. headends (now owned by Harmonic Inc.) and a conditional-access system based on NDS Group plc technology, making it incompatible with boxes made by the largest U.S. cable set-top suppliers, Motorola Broadband Communications Sector and Scientific-Atlanta Inc.

A move in that direction would only delay Cablevision's digital rollout further."

What do they mean "a move in that direction," if Cablevision has already decided to use those systems? And why should the "digital rollout" be delayed further by the use of those systems? Can someone help translate this for me?

As a Cablevision subscriber, I have been incredibly frustrated by its inability/unwillingness to move forward with digital cable and HDTV, so the OTA antenna and DirecTV dish get installed this Friday. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to firing Cablevision.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
"Hildenbrand said the Sony technology was still ready for a June deployment and there was no truth to talk that technical problems with the boxes were behind the consumer rollout being pushed back to this fall."

"There are more than 100 set-top boxes in the field on Long Island, N.Y."

If this quote from the article you referenced in your post is true, how come no one on this forum has ever mentioned their existence or knowledge of anyone field=testing these boxes. Even posts under AVS Forum-HDTV Programming have never hinted that they were in use in LI. Maybe employees of The Wiz are using them??!! Cablevision has never answered my emails concerning HDTV with any type of direct or informative answers, yet an exec states in this article that STB's are being field tested. I'm confused.

[This message has been edited by CJArciola, III (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Registered
539 Posts
A local article from Newsday (about 6 wks ago) stated the boxes were in the possession of cablevision, and ready for rollout.

However, cablevision was not ready to deploy, due to current employees not being up to speed on the technical nature of the gear. They estimated a six month training period, then deployment.

[This message has been edited by John Tillman (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Registered
100 Posts
I spoke with a Sony rep about their "Cablevision" box at NAB, saw it there too... and it was working (offline at least).

I wasn't very impressed. It DID NOT support HDTV and interactivity seemed weak. Also seemed as slow as every other Sony STB I've ever seen.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.