AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first look at this STB today. All I can say is, who are they going to sell this junk to? The PQ was utterly horrendous. There was frequent digitization and blocking and when there wasn't it looked like MPEG 1/2. The channel changing was slow and as we knew before, there are only S video and composite outputs.

The poor salesguy was obviously embarrassed when I said "so you're still selling HDTVs here today that will not connect to this box for HD". What will you tell the customer when he wants this box and can't hook it up? He turned a definite shade of red. Unreal, absolutely unreal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ken you are so right.they should also teach there reps the differance between hdtv and digital they know nothing.The tried to sell me that it was hd so I asked them where is the hd out.salesman answer was what are you asking I don't know? hope they can deliver hd soon or I will go to dish

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, the Charter/Motorola set-top boxes are the same way. Obviously these companies are waiting for January 1, 2006 to roll around before distributing 4DTV equivalent boxes to their customers.

As much as I hate to say this, even DirecTV and Echostar will be way ahead in the game compared to Charter or even Cablevision. Charter = no HDTV support + lackadasial bandwidth cable modem service. At least Cablevision has the right idea with Optimum Online.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ken,

Don't worry about the HDTV problem with Cablevision's digital STB. I have been told by a very, very high source that they will not start transmitting HDTV in QAM through the firewire until there is some sort of adapter for HDTV sets without firewire. I think this should calm your fears regarding Cablevision and HDTV. I am also told they are trying to get HBO-HD back on the air ASAP.

Scott

·
Registered
236 Posts
Double good news, Scott. Thanks for the update and I hope it all happens as such.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Unfortunatly this lack of knowledge and direction has become the norm when dealing with Cablevision. Whether its a CSR, "expert" from the WIZ, or an exec you might know Cablevision's right hand never seems to know what its left hand is doing.

Don't take my word for it, take a trip down to your local Wiz and strike up a conversation about the new STB, DCHP, I-Link, or HD and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Scott,

Can I request for you to inquire from your source when they're planning to also pass the HD signals to the NJ subscribers?

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ben,

As far as I know the whole system will work the same for all areas once they go digital. As far as I know, NJ has not gone digital yet. Just a guess but I would think sometime next year NJ would get the digital service. Once you can get the digital STB, and they are passing they HDTV signals out you will get them. I have been told that they are just about to start testing the HDTV with the firewire and firewire adapter, etc. There is no timetable as to when the firewire HDTV signals will start to be passed through the box.

I know it is frustrating about not getting the boxes, but as far as HDTV you are not missing anything yet. I would think you will probably be able to get the digital service by the time the HDTV channels are accessible through the box.

I hope this helps.

Scott

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I also live in East Meadow. I assume you mean East Meadow by EM.

Right now we have MSG and FSNY from Cablevision using 8-VSB. I also know they are efforting to give us back HBO-HD, but I think it is more complex then we think because they had to remove it from the system to make room for the digital channels. I was just told they are trying to restore it ASAP, with no specific date.

As far as HDTV through firewire or some adapter, that is about to start testing, and who knows when it will come. What type of channels they may offer when it comes I am sure has not been decided yet.

Stay tuned.

Scott

·
Registered
172 Posts
Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply. What I'm after though is what you guys are getting in LI which is the HD signals thru 8VSB. I'm wondering if your source would know if there are plans to also deploy this now with the NJ subscriber base or is this exclusive in LI. I can get Optimum Online here so I assume the facilities are in place. Thanks.

Ben

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scott,

Hope you're right. I miss not being able to use my Zenith tuner for HBO HD. As for the other "offerings" on this STB, I would caution anyone on the AVS forum to stay away. The fact that you are a member of the forum indicates you have a dedication to PQ. Think of this box as the PQ Anti-Christ. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yes, as I said before that HBO-HD would be back on ASAP and it is. I just turned to channel 61.1, also, and there it was an HD movie. Cablevision came through for us this time.

Scott

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ben,

As far as I know there are no plans to deliver MSG, FSNY and HBO to NJ until they go digital and start to send the signals QAM. If I hear of any other plans I will let you know.

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
scot i live in east meadow what are you using to get hd on your tv is it the new sony box cablevision has and a decoder and witch decoder?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Stranger,

I have the new Sony KD-34XBR2, which has the decoder built in. If you have a HDTV with a decoder built in or a set top box just hook up the cable directly to the box or HDTV (bypassing the box). You may have to split the line. One going to the box one directly to the HDTV STB or HDTV and set it for "on air" not cable. That is because the HDTV channels from Cablevision are in the 8-VSB format. If you then do a scan you should pick up 3 channels. MSG on 38.1, FSNY on 39.1 and HBO-HD on 61.1 (just put back today).

If you live in East Meadow as I do they should definitely be there. Remember you must set the HD STB or HDTV to "on air" or "over the air" not cable. That is the trick.

Enjoy,

Scott

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott G:
Don't worry about the HDTV problem with Cablevision's digital STB. I have been told by a very, very high source that they will not start transmitting HDTV in QAM through the firewire until there is some sort of adapter for HDTV sets without firewire.
This "adapter" should be interesting. It'd have to incorporate an MPEG-2 decoder to output HD analog video from the MPEG-2 that should be coming out of that Sony cable STB's Firewire ports. To be DTCP compliant, such a device would have to apply image constraint to copy-protected content before sending it through its analog HD outputs, unless Image Constraint Tokens are present in the Transport Stream from which the program was demuxed. Of course, they don't have to use the copy-protection unless and until "they" want to and they'll probably hold off on using image constraint until a significant amount of copy-protected equipment is in the field, which will take a while. They may, however, use "Copy One Generation" w/Image Constraint Tokens, which will allow full resolution analog HD output from a compliant "adapter", while preventing endlessly perfectly reproducible tapes of movie channel programs from being made with the new HD D-VHS decks. It will also allow full resolution W-VHS copies to be made, but that's big city life.

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 10-09-2001).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.