AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A cable tech. who was working in my area, told me his company Cablevision, was thinking of using a spot beam sat. to cover the Tri-state area. Don`t know if it will be for a internet service or TV. He said that the cable modem service is growing so fast that it already needs more bandwidth and they need to move some services to a sat. Also it would leave all the analog channels behind and be all digital and maybe some HD! Does this sound real or is it just crap I just can`t belive these people without some proof.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can`t belive it , but I guess with all the people Cablevision is losing to the sat. companies it figures. This also could be a big deal for the dish merger, as it would prove that new competitors are still entering the market. 2004 is a long time to wait and see what there going to offer, but it is going to have to carry a lot of HD, at least I hope HDTV would be big by 2004.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Cablevision has Access to 11 transponder Frequencys

at the 61.5 W long Satellite Location...

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Charles Dolan sounds like someone who's thinking outside the box and who understands change is necessary. I really like this regional approach to finding your market share. It will be interesting to see if this venture gets off the ground - pun intended :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are already a Cablevision customer that is, The way I see this working is not a an independant service but as a new programing tier to there cable packages. You can put 20-30 HDTV channels on 11 transponders with the right tech. Cablevision has just anounced a new box that is needed for there just started telephone service,this box has a cable modem built in.so thay could offer all your local nets in HD plus HBOHD, SHOHD, HDNET or MGSHD, PPVHD plus some others on top of all there SDTV on the cable o`and Internet service and Telephone service. Well that just leaves the power company to take over! ;) Lastly this a spot beam sat. they are talking about so they can give differrent areas there own locals in HD. This way covering all places they already have a cable service. Well if your cable company offered you a new box that had a cable in, and a phone connection plus a sat in for HD, would you switch back or as there hoping stay with them. This seems to me like a winner for me I can get them ALL!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know of a site that lists current transponder licenses? I`m not looking for who is transmitting now but who is siting on usable Licenses that can be used to launch new services without going to the FCC. I tried the FCC and can`t find what I`m looking for, figures.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lomax
Does anyone know of a site that lists current transponder licenses? I`m not looking for who is transmitting now but who is siting on usable Licenses that can be used to launch new services without going to the FCC. I tried the FCC and can`t find what I`m looking for, figures.
A complete list is at:

http://www.dbsforums.com/compare/chart.html

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Mongo for the link. I am also woundering how many freq. that the FCC can sell to the cable companies,because I belive that in the short term this is the only way cable can compete with Dish/DTV. In the long term fiber to the house will kill the sat. players or at least change there service drasticaly.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Lomax, cable can compete with satellite whenever and wherever they want, without fiber to the house.

Satellite, after the merger, can compete more formidably with cable.

Cable + a little satellite (a la Cablevision) just means more competition, which is good.

Fiber to the home, which is not coming anytime soon, is not needed for lots and lots of competition.

Mark

·
Registered
33,776 Posts
A couple of sobering thoughts so that the enthusiasm doesn't get out of control. First, how do you think Cablevision will broadcast these HD signals? Hint: it will NOT be 8VSB. How do you think this box will connect to your existing HDTV? Hint: it will NOT be component cables. What this means is that you will not be able to view these HD signals with your existing HDTV that lacks the necessary DVI. Despite Cablevision's claims that they're "working" on a revised STB that will interface with existing HDTVs, I see no evidence that this is the case.

Second, if the existing digital picture quality that's up on the system right now is at all indicative, you would have to be utterly out of your mind to "upgrade" your existing HDTV to enable you to view the new service. The demos that are currently underway at the Wiz are essentially VHS quality (on a good day when the picture is not digitizing). I couldn't begin to imagine how poor the picture would be on a big screen since they look horrible on the demo 13" TVs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.