AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching a looking to purchase my first HDTV. I've decided on LCD.

I've been scouring professional and consumer reviews online and scanning discussion boards. It seems each product on my radar screen has one specific flaw that could be deal-breaker for me. And each one is different:

Samsung: Too pricey + glossy finish (I have a roomw w/ a lot of natural light)
Sharp: LC46D85U (Issues with horizontal color banding.)
Sony: KDL-40V5100 (Issues with dark scenes and backlight going out.)

So, I'm looking at the Toshiba 46XV645U Regza. I guess it's a newer product, because I cannot find many reviews on it at all. Can anyone give feedback? Is this a good choice?

Also, for hookup - My A/V receiver does not have HDMI, but I do not want to get rid of it b/c It's only a few years old and I like it a lot.

So, what is the best way?`

"A"

HDMI from DirecTV box into TV; HDMI from BluRay player into TV; Digital Audio out from TV into my A/V receiver.

*or*

"B"

HDMI from DirecTV box into TV; Digital Audio out from DirecTV box into my A/V receiver

and

HDMI from BluRay player into TV; Digital Audio out from BluRay player into my A/V receiver.

Is "B" even possible? Can you split video to HDMI and audio to Coax or Optical?

If "B" is possible, which is better? "A" or "B"? Having the best picture quality is more important than the best sound, although I do want to preserve the 5.1 decoding w/ 5.1 discrete audio channels.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
897 Posts
The real question is-Is A possible? Many sets do not provide audio output from HDMI inputs and even if they do it may not be 5.1. Both sources will provide video and audio over HDMI and audio from their audio output at the same time. The BD player will have a digital audio output but I don't know about the D* box. Even if A is possible B is the recommended choice and the one I use.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Option A is not possible in 99% of cases because TV makes don't set the TV's up to pass 5.1 from the HDMI inputs to the digital out, the digital out is just there for the internal tuner in the TV, Option B would be your hook up choice.

As for advice on the TV itself, the Flat Panel LCD section under display devices would be the best place to ask.

One other thing, you can get Samsung models with glossy or matte finish, they make both. I installed a matte finish model for my wife's grandparents and it worked out quite nicely in a well lit room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts