AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a 25' long VGA cable + the supplied 6' VGA to component cable to connect by Dell 2100MP and DVD player (480i, Pioneer 434). However, the picture seems very noisy (when viewing dark scenes, i can see bunch of white-noise, or i should say dark-gray noise), far noiser than the S-video input (a 30' long S-video cable between PJ and DVD player):

to illustrate: PJ - 25'VGA - 6'VGA-to-component - DVD player

Because of this, I am currently watching DVDs via S-video connection, which is alright, but would like to get better quality out of my PJ.

I was wondering if the VGA cable is more susceptible to interference than component video cable, and if so, should i run a long component video cable to the PJ such that:

PJ - 6'VGA-to-component - 30' component - DVD player

My second question is, would a progressive scan DVD player make a large difference as far as picture quality, i.e., grayscale performance & color accuracy, is concerned? Comparing the grayscale performance such as blacker black and contrast of this projector to that of my tube Sony TV, the 10 year old Sony outperforms the PJ by such a huge margin that almost makes me regret getting the PJ! and yes, I am watching it in near complete darkness and using a 70" wide DaLite HP screen, ceiling mounted PJ (I know, I know).

I am not too concerned about motion artifacts and poor 3:2 pull-down, etc.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm using home-made RJ59 cable to run the component video. RCA Jack to RCA jack is 25 feet. With a shielded RCA component video cable on one end, and the Dell component-to-VESA on the other end, total length is about 37 feet.

The picture is perfect so long as I keep the component-to-VESA cable away from the proj power cord - which leads me to believe that these cables might be more susceptible to interference than shielded component cables. But IANAE - analog - esp RF stuff - is not my thing. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's good to find a needle (Dell 2100 owner) is the haystack (of X1 owners)!

What's a RJ59 cable?

So your set up is (VESA cable = VGA to component cable):

Dell PJ --- VESA cable --- 3xRCA cables --- DVD player?

It's really weird that I get those speckly noise when using the analog sources and the noise goes away when I connect PJ to a computer...

Also for analog sources, the noise is the greater for the 480i component input ( Dell PJ --- VGA cable --- VESA cable --- DVD player) than s-video input ( Dell PJ --- s-video cable --- DVD player)...

do you see those noises I am talking about? you need to get pretty close to the screen to see them..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by won bae
It's good to find a needle (Dell 2100 owner) is the haystack (of X1 owners)!
Yeah - I noticed that too. Right now, I actually have both. It's hard deciding between them.
Quote:

What's a RJ59 cable?
It's the coaxial cable typically used for cable and satellite TV. It can be used to run component, composite, s-video. Since it's shielded, it's less susceptible to interference.
Quote:

So your set up is (VESA cable = VGA to component cable):

Dell PJ --- VESA cable --- 3xRCA cables --- DVD player?
Yeah - that's basically it. In more detail:

Dell PJ -- VESA/component -- wall jack -- 25' RJ59 -- wall jack -- 6' shielded RCA component cable -- DVD player

Quote:

It's really weird that I get those speckly noise when using the analog sources and the noise goes away when I connect PJ to a computer...
Are you running the computer signal over the same cable (VESA, right?) as the DVD player?

Quote:

Also for analog sources, the noise is the greater for the 480i component input ( Dell PJ --- VGA cable --- VESA cable --- DVD player) than s-video input ( Dell PJ --- s-video cable --- DVD player)...

do you see those noises I am talking about? you need to get pretty close to the screen to see them..
I'm getting a good picture via s-video or component (480i or 480p). No speckles. But I don't know if this is one of those perception-dependent things - like the rainbows. But I'm betting it's just a combination of interference and the properties of DLP.

If you're getting a good signal with the computer, I think it has to be either source or cable. It's just a matter of elimination.

Do you get the same effect running the DVD player into the 2100 via the supplied component-to-VESA cable?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm betting it's that long VESA cable - perhaps interference (if it isn't shielded), crosstalk, or attenuation from the unconnected leads in the cable.

If you want to try the RJ-59 method, you can buy three 25' cables with pre-made N connectors (the screw-on things) and get RCA-to-N-connector adapters. These were $4 each at a local home center.

This isn't exactly what I did. But I used this for proof-of-concept by running composite over one length. Theory being: if you can move a composite signal 25' cleanly, you can certainly move component cleanly over 3 of the same wire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
craigpratt:

Thanks for the reply. I had heard of people using coax cable, but thought that the adapter costs way more than 4 bucks.

To answer some of your questions:

1. yes, i am running computer signal over the VGA cable, without VESA adapter at the end:

Dell PJ -- VGA cable (25' MF) -- VGA cable (6' MM) -- computer

2. with the exact same setup, except using VESA adapter in place of the 6' VGA cable:

Dell PJ -- VGA cable (25' MF) -- VESA adapter (6') -- DVD 480i component (non-progressive)

I get the speckly noise that i don't get when I have the computer attached.

Weird...

On another topic, since you have both X1 and 2100MP, do you notice any differences in black level? When I look at my tube TV and dell PJ side by side, I notice that the tube TV shows all the details in the shadows, whereas the PJ just shows a blob of dark gray... I thought DLP was superior in grayscale performance...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just for the record, it's RG59, not RJ59... ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Akos
Just for the record, it's RG59, not RJ59... ;)
Sorry - my bad. :D

Should look up the diff between the RG and RJ. guess RJ is for jacks and such (RJ11, RJ45, etc) and RG is for cabling?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by won bae
craigpratt:

Thanks for the reply. I had heard of people using coax cable, but thought that the adapter costs way more than 4 bucks.

To answer some of your questions:

1. yes, i am running computer signal over the VGA cable, without VESA adapter at the end:

Dell PJ -- VGA cable (25' MF) -- VGA cable (6' MM) -- computer

2. with the exact same setup, except using VESA adapter in place of the 6' VGA cable:

Dell PJ -- VGA cable (25' MF) -- VESA adapter (6') -- DVD 480i component (non-progressive)

I get the speckly noise that i don't get when I have the computer attached.

Weird...
I would see that leaving three possibilities:

o The speckles are the DVD "mosquitoes" oft referred to in the group. But I think this is when the DVD MPEG is mastered low-bitrate or low-quality. You should only see this in some areas and on some disks. But you should see this on svideo as well, one would think.

o The computer terminates some of the wires in the cable that the adapter does not - causing attenuation on the unterminated wires, or somesuch.

o The Dell component-to-VESA cable isn't shielded and you have an interference source nearby. Typical interference sources cause bands, though - not speckles.

I presume that, if it was easy, you've tried plugging the DVD player directly into the 2100 - eliminating the extension cable from the equation?

Quote:

On another topic, since you have both X1 and 2100MP, do you notice any differences in black level? When I look at my tube TV and dell PJ side by side, I notice that the tube TV shows all the details in the shadows, whereas the PJ just shows a blob of dark gray... I thought DLP was superior in grayscale performance...
I know what you're talking about - and am trying to mitigate this as well. On 480P, the X1 is better - maybe due to its increased brightness - but only somewhat so.

I think those comparisons (superior low-end contrast and such) are against other projectors - esp LCD. i.e. it sucks less.

I'm ramping up on this stuff too. But I've found the following to help a lot:

1. Mess with the gamma, contrast, and brightness controls. Try a low gamma with a high brightness and vice-versa. There's also a setting on the 2100 I can't remember the name of - white level or something - that helps.
  2. Get the room as dark as possible.
  3. Try reducing the image size[/list=1]

And I've read, but have not tried:
    1. High-gain screen is supposed to help. But large ones are very expensive. Lots of articles on DIY methods.
    2. More expensive units deal better with dark-level contrast[/list=1]

Hope you can rid yourself of those speckles...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a bunch craig.

I am currently using DaLite B HighPower screen, ceiling mounted. Still get much better image compared to the blank wall i was using before! I guess I guess i should try out a prog. scan player or get a HTPC permanently attached to the PJ...

gosh, hate to have to redo all the cabling, if that's the problem..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.