AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received my X1 and was contemplating getting a HD cable box. I had two thoughts about the hook-up for this and was hoping someone could give advice. First and most obvious set-up would be run a 30' component cable to the adapter and into the projector.

The other thought I had was to run the infocus component-VGA adapter straight out of the HD box and then run a 30' VGA cord to the projector. Is it even possible to do it this way and would I suffer any PQ with the second variation?

One quick question off topic...I currently have the projector on a table top and am noticing that the heat from the projector is causing ripples in the picture. Is there anyway simple way to alleviate this? My eventual setup will be ceiling mounted, or to build a floor mount that will have low powered fans pulling the air down.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hmm. I haven't tried it but I think that running the VGA cable should work. Just make sure that there is sufficient shielding - I have heard that cables longer than 6' are susceptible more susceptible to external interference.

The other issue is timing...making sure that the R,G & signals arrive at the same time. There is a nanosecond/foot tolerance that should not be exceeded or you see color synch problems. I think it is 2 ns/100'..not sure though. Do a google :)

My instinct is always to limit the number of interconnections whenever possible. I try to avoid switch boxes etc. I even bypass the switcher in my amp - just in case.

There are guys on the forum that know a lot more about cables than I do. Let's see what they say.

Colin.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'll also let the others address this from a more technical side. I will say that a VGA cable of this length is no problem. I am using a 25' VGA without any problems w/ PQ degradation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turbo, Are you using the 25' VGA with the X1 projector? Are you currently running the component to Vesa adapter out of a High-def receiver then running a VGA to the pj?

Colinsm, there would be no extra interconnects in this set-up, the cords would simply be reversed.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm going VGA from my HTPC straight to the PJ. I am also using a 25' component from my DVD player to the VESA/Component adapter. Not sure what combination I will use in the permanent solution. Since I am setting it up each time I use it, I just use the cable for the application at the time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am considering an X1 because of the good reviews on this site and of course the hard to resist price. One downfall of the X1 is the lack of inputs...the sharing of the S-video with the 7pin s-video for component is causing me some grief. I plan on using the PJ for both satellite (non-HDTV at the moment) and non-progressive DVD. Because my Panasonic DVD player is not progressive, I cannot use the component to vesa adapter and therefore must share the s-video port on the PJ with my Satellite. Trying to keep it simple and within the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) I don't want to swap cables at the PJ because it will be ceiling mounted and I prefer not to use a switch box both for aesthetics and potential signal quality loss.

I could update to progressive DVD but I might be wiser with a different PJ if I need to update the player. I considered updating my receiver to component switching but that will not work because you cannot up-convert s-video to component or down convert the other way around.

Do you see my dilemma?...I promised my wife she would simply be able to hit a few buttons on a remote to watch the big screen but....Any thoughts?

·
Registered
351 Posts
rrobertson,

This is a great time for you to upgrade to HDTV satellite or HDTV cable. Is the VGA connection being used at this time? You have to see HDTV on your X1, its amazing. I would stay with the interlace component DVD and trade for HDTV.

If you want a no cost solution, use the composite connection for your satellite or dvd depending on what you watch less. I used the composite for VCR and some TV viewing which I found to be more than acceptable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks miketc,

You are likely right about the HDTV and no I would not be using the VGA input (except to occasionally plug my laptop into for pictures, etc). I considered composite but was afraid the quality would be too bad. I am waiting for my Satellite provider to release a new HDTV set top next month...apparently they are offering a discount.

Thanks for the advice...I am also considering a Y plug for the s-video connector...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is my setup, for those that it may help:

Denon progressive DVD player, XBox, both through receiver with component switching, component to the X1 VESA adapter.

Everything, including the DVD player, is also connected through the receiver with svideo switching. I have one Svideo cable go from the monitor out to the svideo plug, and one svideo cable goes from the Video 1 out of the receiver to the TV.

So everything can be played on both the TV and projector at the same time, except the DVD player, which plays on the TV when progressive is off, otherwise on the big screen.

Super simple to use, especially with the X1's auto source switching feature.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
i just use the pc for dvd playback and dtv.. then i use the svid for dish pvr.. vga switch boxes work as well.. youll just need to get a good one.. some ue 25buck boxes.. i think thiers a rgb switcher as well forgot where i seen it.. basicly its a hard connection using low loss gold connections and bnc.. I think the pc is the ultimate solution when considering you get a progressive scan dvd player/recorder, pvr,hdtv,hdtv pvr, mp3 playback as well as play anything i basicly throw at it dvix and all..

you dont need an expensive computer.. anyway you need to go visit the htpc forum.. rather then spending all that cash on a progressive scan dvd player you can get the htpc.. ;-)

·
Registered
577 Posts
rrobertson you can upconvert svid/composite to component with certain recievers. Specifically Sony and Denon make models that do this (and you get awesome sound to boot).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.