AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have x86 Vista Ultimate installed on my PC I use for gaming, handbrake, etc. I was wondering if I had the media for x64 could I use my x86 license to install x64?

Please don't start thinking anything foul is going on because everything would be purchased with my own money. Since I am considering purchasing a version of Vista for another PC in the house I thought it may be worth installing x64 on both.

I would purchase a single x64 DVD use that key on the other PC and then install it with my x86 key on my PC.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The key works for both x64 and x86 versions. All you need is the x64 disc. You can get one from ms directly by going here .

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
well, I think there is a qualifier.

If you have an OEM version, the license is for one or the other. If you have a retail version, the license covers either version.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/14257310

well, I think there is a qualifier.

If you have an OEM version, the license is for one or the other. If you have a retail version, the license covers either version.

The oem key will still work with a 64bit disc and the other way around but the oem key will not allow you to obtain the 64bit disc through that site i posted above. if you have a friend with the 64bit disc just use that disc with your key.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dude, you may wanna hold off there for a bit, I know for a fact that Vista 64 is not nearly as stable as vista 32 and of course there are also some compatability issues. Some of your fave games wont even work in 64 bit Vista.

I am an employee of Robert Zohn, @ Value electronics, and I have also in my spare time built custom PCs for people, and if I were to build you a system (liquid cooled, of course) I would stick to the 32 bit version until at least SP2 or even windows 7. I just cannot see reccommending to anybody a 64 bit OS when there are just too many issues with compatability, especially for a gamer, to feel comfortable with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can state that i know for a fact that it is just as stable as 32bit. :p Very few games will not run. I just installed diablo 2 a few weeks ago, a game that was released 8 years ago, and it runs great. Any thing with 16bit code will not work though. Just google some of your favorite games and see if they work in vista64. As for hardware, you just have to make sure that there are 64bit drivers for your hardware. Ive been using vista since release. i installed the 32bit version because 64bit drivers were lagging behind a little bit back then. When i got a new motherboard i installed 64bit and have not noticed a single difference in stability at all. I can not think of one game that i have not been able to install as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yea I can also vouch for 64 bit Vista, all my games work flawlessly aside from one or two but that was a coding error regarding Multiple CPU's which can be fixed by running a program called CPU Control. 16 bit programs do not work, I'm not sure theirs a way to make them work either. I transitioned from 32 bit Vista Home to 64 bit Vista Home and I found that 64 bit actually made my computer run better, the start up time was also significantly reduced.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Yeah, I had absolutely no issues with x64 for gaming. It was the HTPC purposes that gave me issues (mostly that two different brands of dual tuner analog TV cards don't work with more than 4 GB RAM).

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you are even thinking about having two video cards you should go 64 bit. That 4GB limit for 32 bit applies to the sum of all memory in the computer. From cache in the CPU to the DDR3 in your video card. You would be lucky to get 2.5GB of system RAM utilized if you ran a Xfire or SLI setup with two 512MB cards.

Also, having 4GB of RAM in Vista64 has a nice bonus due to Superfetch. After running for a couple weeks the system pretty much figures out your usage patterns. I don't use a ton of apps, but Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Firefox, Outlook, and UT3 (my current fav) just snap-on when I start them since the programs have been pre-cached into RAM. I will soon bump up to 8GB and I might even turn off the swap drive when I do...

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"I will soon bump up to 8GB and I might even turn off the swap drive when I do..."

So you want to intentionally kill performance? Okay then...

Remember how you were just talking about how awesome Superfetch is? (It is.) Well, if you have to hold all the unused crap that would normally be cached to the drive in RAM instead, you suddenly have no room to take advantage of Superfetch. There was a time, long, long ago, when disabling your swapfile made sense under very specific instances. That time has never had any relation to the NT kernel that we consumers have been running on for the last 9 years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Been using 64-bit for months now. I play the occasional DOS game like King's Bounty or Colonization of the New World, and everything works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts