AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now calibrating my other SXRD RPTV and can get my grayscale pretty tight, low delta. But when doing color I may be doing something wrong. I am following the info the HCFR manual and am watching the Y value (21% of 100% white) but when I set it close to that, my 100% red looks pink. I am also adjusting tint after that to the x y cyan values. I am close on x but my y is higher.

Am I doing this right? Or is there a better way to do this. My deltas for my colors, RGB are all very high like 30-40. Please assist.

Thank you,

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
SXRD's tend to have quite accurate color levels from the factory if the color is set to 50. Also, the tint is accurate at it's mid point. You can fine tune them along with the color decoding controls in the SM and get very slightly more accurate decoding, but it's awfully close at mid point.

I should add that I do not use HCFR, so I don't know what's happening with that. I use CalMAN, which has similar color luminance measurements, and I use those measurements in conjunction with the color isolation visual method available in the SXRD SM.

What meter are you using?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/14335224

SXRD's tend to have quite accurate color levels from the factory if the color is set to 50. Also, the tint is accurate at it's mid point. You can fine tune them along with the color decoding controls in the SM and get very slightly more accurate decoding, but it's awfully close at mid point.

I should add that I do not use HCFR, so I don't know what's happening with that. I use CalMAN, which has similar color luminance measurements, and I use those measurements in conjunction with the color isolation visual method available in the SXRD SM.

What meter are you using?

I am using iDisplay2. This is the KDS60XBR1.... the first model year. I have been hesitant about going into service menue, but my colors are not accurate when I calibrate using the HCFR method.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/14335452

Oh, I just thought of something! If your advanced IRIS (and to a lesser extent gamma corrector) is on, it may mess with the luminance of the colors in relation to 100% white. Run through it again with the advanced IRIS off and gamma corrector off.

What do you have the iris set to? I do not think there is an off, just 1-6. Also what do you use for color type, I think there is vivid, pro and standard?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback /forum/post/14335481

What do you have the iris set to? I do not think there is an off, just 1-6. Also what do you use for color type, I think there is vivid, pro and standard?

This is what I do:

Use Pro mode. Use IRIS setting of 2 or 3 (I use 3). Under advanced settings, turn off Advanced IRIS while you do the measurements. This is because the way it works confuses the readings. You can turn it on again after you're done. Turn off all the other "enhancements".

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/14335554

Of course if you want it fine tuned to the max, I do service your area...

I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback /forum/post/14335359

I am using iDisplay2. This is the KDS60XBR1.... the first model year. I have been hesitant about going into service menue, but my colors are not accurate when I calibrate using the HCFR method.

stepmback, if you can post your HCFR chc file with the color measures that will help to see what is going on.

cheers,

--tom

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasl /forum/post/14343556

stepmback, if you can post your HCFR chc file with the color measures that will help to see what is going on.

cheers,

--tom

I will try and do that tonight or tomorrow. I have had internet issues at my house the past couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback
I will try and do that tonight or tomorrow. I have had internet issues at my house the past couple of weeks.
Attached is a zip file of my CHC files for both my Ruby and 60 inch KDS60XBRI RPTV. I am still having issues with Color and gamma (Ruby).

Thank you

CHC Files.zip 3.462890625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback /forum/post/14334283

I am now calibrating my other SXRD RPTV and can get my grayscale pretty tight, low delta. But when doing color I may be doing something wrong. I am following the info the HCFR manual and am watching the Y value (21% of 100% white) but when I set it close to that, my 100% red looks pink. I am also adjusting tint after that to the x y cyan values. I am close on x but my y is higher.

stepmback,

Your color luminance values as well as the position of the secondaries look ok to me - this would be your Color and Tint controls. What is off are your primaries - they are all well over-saturated - you can see this on the CIE chart graph. Does your display have any type of ColorSpace control with options something like 'wide', 'normal', etc. If so, you may want to experiment with it and try a different setting.

hope this helps,

--tom

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasl /forum/post/14357013

stepmback,

Your color luminance values as well as the position of the secondaries look ok to me - this would be your Color and Tint controls. What is off are your primaries - they are all well over-saturated - you can see this on the CIE chart graph. Does your display have any type of ColorSpace control with options something like 'wide', 'normal', etc. If so, you may want to experiment with it and try a different setting.

hope this helps,

--tom

My Ruby does, but my 60 Inch XRB does not. I have it set to normal. I will experiment with Wide.

Question though. My PS3 has a setting for RGB and YCBCR, should I be using RGB with Wide colorspace and YCBCR with normal colorspace? Maybe that is the issue I am having?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts