AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm looking for any input or opinions.

I currently have a 2004 Mits 55" CRT RP that is used exclusively for HDTV and gaming (no movies as we have a theater for that). Now that the 1080P DLP's are available, I'm considering either replacing the CRT - or having the Mits extensively cleaned and calibrated by one of the popular forum calibraters for the first time.

My initial thought is that while the CRT could provide superior movie image, the DLP would excel at HDTV and games with extra detail and sharpness. I intend to see the new DLP's soon - but haven't had a chance yet.

Obviously there's a significant price difference given these options - but what else haven't I considered? What might you do given the choice? Is there nothing better than a finely calibrated CRT?

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP
Alright, I'm looking for any input or opinions.

I currently have a 2004 Mits 55" CRT RP that is used exclusively for HDTV and gaming (no movies as we have a theater for that). Now that the 1080P DLP's are available, I'm considering either replacing the CRT - or having the Mits extensively cleaned and calibrated by one of the popular forum calibraters for the first time.

My initial thought is that while the CRT could provide superior movie image, the DLP would excel at HDTV and games with extra detail and sharpness. I intend to see the new DLP's soon - but haven't had a chance yet.

Obviously there's a significant price difference given these options - but what else haven't I considered? What might you do given the choice? Is there nothing better than a finely calibrated CRT?
You are going to upgrade that quick?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I am in the same dilemma, but i am waiting until a 1080p lcos hits the shelves for under 3g's. And it must support 1080p input.

BTW i have the exact same tv as you, year model and everything.

What i would do is have someone come over and calibrate if you have the bug and then you might get a little extra back when you sell it because it's calibrated.

But you might have diffrent interests than me.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If I were in your position, and I was happy with the way my current set looked, I wouldn't choose now to upgrade. Wait a couple years and all the kinks will be worked out with these new models and you'll be able to get a 1080p with true 1080p inputs, superior black levels, no wobulation or other technology compromises, for probably half the price of what you'd spend on one now.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Calibrate the thing. A properly calibrated CRT RPTV will still beat most of the new technology out there. And Mitsubishi models really shine when calibrated. The 55" Mitsu doesn't have the 9" guns that my 65" Mitsu has so you can't get the same level of resolvable detail, but it still should look awesome and cost a lot less than a new set.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the head check on this - all good comments. I'm gonna hang tight for now and stay with the CRT. Letting the technology mature a bit for 1080P sounds like the right idea to me too.

Sometimes it's real tough not to get all excited over the new technologies...

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm with the guys here. Dude in the last 6 months I have considered about 4 LCDs and 2 DLP. each time excited by the specs and the reviews. However once I actually saw the floor models... CRT baby, CRT.

Don't get me wrong, I might get a 42 LCD RPTV for the living room eventually just because 34" might be too small... But even then...

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
The 55mits is abought the worst you can do for Gaming... Microdisplays kick the living crap out of them....

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues
The 55mits is abought the worst you can do for Gaming... Microdisplays kick the living crap out of them....
For gaming, I would always choose a microdisplay over a CRT. But for movies, CRT's all the way. Microdisplays just destroy gorgeous film content.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.