AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llckll /forum/post/16947329

Hi,

I just received my Samsung PN58B860 today. Can I calibrate it immediately or should I wait after a couple hundred hours of use?

Much thanks.

If you own calibration software and equipment, you can do it immediately. Just know you will be doing a recal after 100-200 hours of use.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/16947406

I wouldn't pay for professional calibration until it has a few hours on it, but if you're doing it yourself, I'd calibrate it right away and touch it up every 50-100 hours.

Unless the Pro offers a service to re-cal after 100-200 hours as part of the initial calibration, many do.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

If you have the disc ... do it now ... do it next week ... do it next month. Do it as often as you like. No sense watching bad images when you have the power to fix it now.

regards

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I only have experience with DVE and the Spears & Munsil disc. Both are very useful, but I'll put it this way: I rarely find myself using DVE on BD, I always reach for the spears/munsil disc...

That being said, it doesn't have greyscale patterns for that, etc, though actually now that I think of it, I don't think DVE BD does either, but I always use a generator for that purpose anyway, so I dunno. The DVD version of DVE does though, as well as Avia. Don't know if you need greyscale windows anyway, you didn't say if you had colorimetry equipment for that.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
greetings

Easy to follow ... but it does not come with a blue filter. (At least the two I ordered didn't have filters.)

The DVE does.

regards

·
Registered
78 Posts
He doesn't need a blue filter. Most recent Samsung displays, including this one have a blue-only mode. It's arguably more accurate than a blue filter anyway, as it doesn't depend on the quality/accuracy of an external lense.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/16949141

greetings

Easy to follow ... but it does not come with a blue filter. (At least the two I ordered didn't have filters.)

The DVE does.

regards

I believe they are already, or shortly will be shipping a blue filter to all purchasers. At least that's my understanding given what Stacey said in their thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post16886532

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritea /forum/post/16950136

He doesn't need a blue filter. Most recent Samsung displays, including this one have a blue-only mode. It's arguably more accurate than a blue filter anyway, as it doesn't depend on the quality/accuracy of an external lense.

another good point as well. Still, filters are useful on most consumer displays that don't have this mode.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritea /forum/post/16950136

You understate the point. I can't think of an argument at all for a filter over a blue only mode. The blue only mode is clearly the method to use if it is available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts