AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this set and I am using DVE to calibrate it. Does anybody have any experience with the advanced menu? Like the black level and the super whites?

Also, I use it in a dark room. Should I turn the backlight down? Howa about gama control? So much different than my Panny Plasma!

·
Registered
5,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/18311309

I just got this set and I am using DVE to calibrate it. Does anybody have any experience with the advanced menu? Like the black level and the super whites?

Also, I use it in a dark room. Should I turn the backlight down? Howa about gama control? So much different than my Panny Plasma!

The usual preference is to turn all that stuff either off or at minimum. If your viewing area has a lot of ambient light though you may need to up Backlight a bit. All the other super whites or enchanced contrast whatevers, turn them off. Don't touch white balance settings unless you have a meter and software to measure and calibrate. You can try copying white balance settings from others who have used meters to calibrate and posted their settings but it usually varies from set to set and each owner's viewing environment.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/18315492

The usual preference is to turn all that stuff either off or at minimum. If your viewing area has a lot of ambient light though you may need to up Backlight a bit. All the other super whites or enchanced contrast whatevers, turn them off. Don't touch white balance settings unless you have a meter and software to measure and calibrate. You can try copying white balance settings from others who have used meters to calibrate and posted their settings but it usually varies from set to set and each owner's viewing environment.

Got it. My back light is set to MIN. Gamma control has me stumped. The range is -2 to +2. Is 0 2.2?

Also, the set has a HUGE red push which is noticble using the filters on DVE. If I try and correct it using the Hugh control I end up with green flesh tones. Any advice?

I am going to have the set ISF calibrated in the next few months. Hopefully that fixes my issues. Any help in the mean time will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/18316440

Got it. My back light is set to MIN. Gamma control has me stumped. The range is -2 to +2. Is 0 2.2?

Also, the set has a HUGE red push which is noticble using the filters on DVE. If I try and correct it using the Hugh control I end up with green flesh tones. Any advice?

I am going to have the set ISF calibrated in the next few months. Hopefully that fixes my issues. Any help in the mean time will be appreciated.

I'd leave it at 0 for now, the only way to really tell what you'd get at each setting is to have a meter and measure.

When you say Red push are you saying whites look red or fleshtones look oversaturated? I had heard the filters from calibration discs are not accurate for use with LCD displays, so you probably don't want to use that to set your Color and Hue.

Since you're getting it calibrated professionally, all will be well then. In the meantime I'd look at TweakTV.com or Cnet and see if you can find their settings for your particular model and use that for the time being.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/18317001

I'd leave it at 0 for now, the only way to really tell what you'd get at each setting is to have a meter and measure.

When you say Red push are you saying whites look red or fleshtones look oversaturated? I had heard the filters from calibration discs are not accurate for use with LCD displays, so you probably don't want to use that to set your Color and Hue.

Since you're getting it calibrated professionally, all will be well then. In the meantime I'd look at TweakTV.com or Cnet and see if you can find their settings for your particular model and use that for the time being.

Flesh tones look wrong. Also, even at stock color settings I always see a bit of a green tint which drives me nuts. Any help?

·
Registered
5,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/18318814

Flesh tones look wrong. Also, even at stock color settings I always see a bit of a green tint which drives me nuts. Any help?

Where is your color set at now and have you checked if anyone posted calibrated setting?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Color and tint are set to 0 (mid) and color temp is at Warm 2. There are some odd green tints to the shadows of flesh tones that I really want to remove.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,

Im not much of a calibrating guru so I thought i would ask you guys before I pay geek squad to take care of it for me.

I bought this same TV and I'm having issues with judder (at least I think thats the problem). In fast paced scenes, such as someone walking, there is a blurriness around their bodies. I had the same problem with the Samsung LED I already returned but its not as bad on this Sony. Since I've already noticed it on my last TV, it bugs me everytime I see it on the Sony. I'm tempted to take it back too if I cant eliminate the problem.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks

·
Registered
12,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoshis /forum/post/18459971

Hey guys,

Im not much of a calibrating guru so I thought i would ask you guys before I pay geek squad to take care of it for me.

I bought this same TV and I'm having issues with judder (at least I think thats the problem). In fast paced scenes, such as someone walking, there is a blurriness around their bodies. I had the same problem with the Samsung LED I already returned but its not as bad on this Sony. Since I've already noticed it on my last TV, it bugs me everytime I see it on the Sony. I'm tempted to take it back too if I cant eliminate the problem.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks

Sounds like faint halos created by excessive motion interpolation. Lower or turn off any motion interpolation features on your set. Judder is quite different from what you describe and it's mainly visible when the camera pans.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts