AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small issue...obviously, since I'm playing on an HD, the Wii's graphics have a 'softness' to them that would not be present playing on a SD.

My HDTV is calibrated from my 360, because I'm using a DVD calibration and the 360 plays DVDs. The settings I found with this DVD obviously don't carry over perfectly to the Wii because the 360 is connected via HDMI and the Wii via component.

Is there any way to calibrate an HDTV for the Wii?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Closest you would get is to connect a DVD player via component to your TVs Wii input, get your pic solid there w/ whatever cal disc reference you prefer, then re-connect Wii and eyeball it to finalize the dialing in business.

You might be able to display online calibration images via Wii's Opera web browser, but not sure the video quality of those would be up to snuff via Opera.

·
Registered
762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Davicho /forum/post/14245095

Hmmm...would it be possible to download some basic patterns and display them via the Wii's SD card?

It wouldn't surprise me if the Wii treats static and moving images and video /game generated visuals differently as far as gamma, etc. Can't see it being RADICALLY different. Probably worth a go.

Pop back and give us your impressions!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do, does anyone know where I can get accurate pattern in convenient image format? I'm just looking for pluge and sharpness patterns...

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Hook your 360 up to the Wii's input at 480p and run the same calibration you already did for the 360 on HDMI. That will give you calibration as good as you can expect in a non-standard world.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I should add that game designers are notorious for not conforming to any set of standards (more due to ignorance than malice!). Few could tell you what colour space they're working in, or even what the gamma of their monitor is.

The film world has established standards that are (for the most part) strictly followed. Gaming not so much. Beyond the everyday common errors that go unnoticed they throw out colossal screw ups like King Kong that can't be seen in SD because they never bothered testing it that way (far too dark), or Dead Rising where the subtitles can't be read in SD. At all. Some reeeeeal good QC there boys.

There was a great rant about this very issue just a while ago on AVS...shame I can't dig it up...

Basically the poster summed it up as such--if the game contains a gamma slider, the developers have no idea what they're doing (standards-wise).

At the end of the day, calibrating with patterns or a 360/dvd player may get your input in the right ballpark, there just isn't any guarantee your Wii games will look any good that way...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts