AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

I recently picked up a defective pioneer 5020fd, and I'm in the process of fixing it, along with converting it to an "e-lite" version. I already have an e-lite version of the 6020fd, and it was professionally calibrated by Jeff Meier. For the time being, I plan on "calibrating" the 5020fd by eye, using the 6020fd as reference. I'll likely pick up the controlcal software and appropriate usb/serial cord, if still available. Any tips/strategies on how one might do this? I know this isn't going to get me the same thing as a professional calibration (which I can't afford, for the time being), but I figure it may get me closer to its picture, rather than simply using some kind of calibration bluray.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

This is not quite calibrating by eye ... :) ... as the other TV functions as an optical comparator. Pro cal guys have had this tool in their pack up to the end of the CRT days. Well some of them anyway.

Take an 80% white pattern from a test disc, let's say ... put it up on both displays. adj the grayscale until you match it ...

then do for 30% then back to 80% ... as needed

That's really about it.

regards

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings

This is not quite calibrating by eye ... :) ... as the other TV functions as an optical comparator. Pro cal guys have had this tool in their pack up to the end of the CRT days. Well some of them anyway.

Take an 80% white pattern from a test disc, let's say ... put it up on both displays. adj the grayscale until you match it ...

then do for 30% then back to 80% ... as needed

That's really about it.

regards
Ok, thanks for the reply! I will do more research on the basics of calibration (I've snooped around here enough to know that there are some good resources for laypersons). I wanted some kind of way to do it (e.g., an order to go about it--like doing a white pattern of some kind, first--which I don't even know what that is, yet).

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Ok, thanks for the reply! I will do more research on the basics of calibration (I've snooped around here enough to know that there are some good resources for laypersons). I wanted some kind of way to do it (e.g., an order to go about it--like doing a white pattern of some kind, first--which I don't even know what that is, yet).
"It's all about the art." Joe Kane

Try the "sticky" threads at the top of this section of the forum, starting with this one:

'Display Calibration: Root Fundamentals'
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1021933

For a free download of test patterns and tutorial text helps:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Hey gang,

I recently picked up a defective pioneer 5020fd, and I'm in the process of fixing it, along with converting it to an "e-lite" version. I already have an e-lite version of the 6020fd, and it was professionally calibrated by Jeff Meier. For the time being, I plan on "calibrating" the 5020fd by eye, using the 6020fd as reference. I'll likely pick up the controlcal software and appropriate usb/serial cord, if still available. Any tips/strategies on how one might do this? I know this isn't going to get me the same thing as a professional calibration (which I can't afford, for the time being), but I figure it may get me closer to its picture, rather than simply using some kind of calibration bluray.
That could be an interesting experiment not only for grayscale but for color. You would still have to have some knowledge of color and using controlcal would be the best way to make the adjustments.

Let us know how things go.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That could be an interesting experiment not only for grayscale but for color. You would still have to have some knowledge of color and using controlcal would be the best way to make the adjustments.

Let us know how things go.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm in school full time, and I have to wait to get the fixed circuit boards back to ensure that the TV is functioning properly; when that is said and done, I'll begin the project (with lots of questions, I'm sure!).

·
Registered
903 Posts
For grayscale adjustment Try gray bars patterns.The ones with a lot of bars.Bias/cuts for darker bar patterns.Gain/drive for lighter shaded bar patterns.If it has abl(automatic brightness limiting) then you need patterns that activate the abl from slightly too full abl activation.Then use both bias and gains for the middle shades.This is the hard part but it's probably what could make it look better.You have too do it a few times because the bias/cuts effect the gains/drives.On my plasma the drives/gains effect almost everything and the bias/cuts just a small effect.Your tv likely will be a bit different with this though.Then see how it looks with regular content.

You also need too make sure the DVD player or whatever your using too display the patterns are not adding any color too the graybars image.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts