AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any first hand experience with these calibrating DVD's? My set is a Panasonic TH42PD25U, EDTV not HDTV. I looked at several online, but neither said anything about EDTV in their info. Only HDTV. Is there one made especially for EDTV sets. I have also read that these calibrating DVDs make the picture very dark. Any truth to this?

Thanks for your input.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,428 Posts
Any of the popular calibration DVD's will work just fine on your EDTV.

A properly callibrated display may very well produce a darker and softer image than you are used to. On the other hand, you should be seeing a lot more detail and a much more "realistic" image. After watching a propely calibrated display for a while you will wonder why you ever even thought it was too dark to begin with. It will just look "right", and what you were used to will now look garish.

Manufacturers typically ship their TVs with default settings way too bright, because a bright, flashy image attracts shoppers in stores. Since many folks never bother to change the default settings on their TVs, this is the image they get used to, despite the fact that even their old TVs could probably look a LOT better if they were adjusted.

This is the infamous "torch" mode -- overly bright/contrasty, overly red, and overly processed producing fake sharpness. The main thing a calibration DVD will do for you is to help you find the right way to extinguish the torch.

--Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.