AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm during the process of calibrating my 9800 LG OLED for dark room viewing, I found that I can use the brightness adjustment in combination with the 5IRE from the 20 point grayscale to adjust the darkness of the first few steps out of black. Because video level 16 is completely black on these TVs I found the brightness adjustment to be too coarse(at least on mine). If I just use the brightness controls video level 17 & 18 are either not there or way too bright. I feel like the first steps out of black from complete darkness should be pretty dark itself. When watching/adjusting in a dark room on low apl scenes it can look washed out. Also the left side of my panel on 1% black full screen pattern is brighter than the right(typical oled uniformity). Because of this I have been using the AVSHD 1% above black window pattern to adjust my first steps out of black with these 2 controls. This pattern seems to give me a good average of how dark each side will be. I adjust these controls so that the 1% above black window pattern is just barely visible against the black background. Do any amateurs or professionals who have calibrated one of these TVs have an opinion on this method of adjustment or how dark the first few steps out of black should be. Thanks

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
I adjust these controls so that the 1% above black window pattern is just barely visible against the black background. Do any amateurs or professionals who have calibrated one of these TVs have an opinion on this method of adjustment or how dark the first few steps out of black should be.
I don't have one of these TVs, but the usual adjustment is to make Level 17 barely visible. 1% would correspond to about Level 18+; making that barely visible would mean the black level adjustment is slightly too low.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
I don't have one of these TVs, but the usual adjustment is to make Level 17 barely visible. 1% would correspond to about Level 18+; making that barely visible would mean the black level adjustment is slightly too low.
Also, the 5IRE control (obviously) has more effect on 5% than on 1%, so you will also need to keep an eye on the 5% level reading using the 20-step grey scale pattern, assuming you are using a sensor (meter) to calibrate.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response Dominic. I'm using a meter to calibrate, D3 profiled to I1 pro. The way I calibrated it my gamma at 5% is around 2.28 power law after those adjustments. So I just matched everything else with the 20 point grayscale adjustments to keep a flat gamma curve. Do you or anyone else know of any calibration discs that have window pattern 0.5% above black or 17 video level. Thanks

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Do you or anyone else know of any calibration discs that have window pattern 0.5% above black or 17 video level. Thanks
In HCFR you can set up a window with any level (from 0 to 255) you like, as a custom colour.
However, most people would use level 17 as the basis of visual set up, not to any specific measured level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts